1/2 cup (100g) margarine, softened
4 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup (100g) plus 2 Tbsp. 930ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
4 Tbsp. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Dash almond extract
1 oz. (25g) (1 square) semisweet chocolate
• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C/Gas Mark 3).
• Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the flour, cornmeal, cinnamon, salt and almond extract.
• Pat the dough into an 8-inch pie pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.
• With a knife, score the shortbread into 8 sections while it is still hot.
• When the shortbread is completely cool, place the chocolate in a plastic zipper-style sandwich bag. Close the bag tightly and microwave on high for 1 minute. Knead the bag until the chocolate is completely melted.
• Tightly fold down the top of the bag and snip a tiny piece (about 1/16 inch) off one bottom corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the shortbread in a spider web pattern (add a spooky spider, too, if you wish).
Makes 8 servings