3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 oz. plain nondairy cream cheese (try Tofutti brand at Tofutti.com)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted and coarsely crushed
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
• In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar, nondairy cream cheese, and vanilla. Stir in the coconut.
• Shape the candy mixture into 1-inch balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with waxed or parchment paper and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
• Place the crushed almonds in a shallow bowl and set aside.
• Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes and then dip each coconut ball in the chocolate to coat it. It may be helpful to use one hand to drop the coconut balls into the chocolate and the other to pick them out and thoroughly coat them. Immediately place each chocolate-coated coconut ball into the bowl of crushed almonds and roll to coat, then place it back on the lined baking sheet.
• Allow the candies to sit for an hour, until dry. Place candies in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
• Allow them to stand at room temperature for 2 hours before serving.
Makes approximately 2 dozen candies