10 lbs. carrots, sliced
4 cups Italian breadcrumbs
2 cups chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1 1/2 cups pine nuts
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 cup salt
2 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 cup chopped dill
1 cup chopped mint
1/2 cup soft tofu, mashed Flour
Oil for frying
Pistachio sauce for garnish (see recipe below)
5 mint leaves for garnish
6 cups lightly toasted pistachios
2 cups roasted onions
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup salt
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 cups minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 cups lemon juice
6 cups extra virgin olive oil
3 cups water (optional)
• Steam the carrots until soft. Drain well and mash with a fork.
• Add the breadcrumbs, apricots, scallions, pine nuts, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, parsley, dill, mint, and tofu and knead well. (The mixture should be moist but not too wet and should bind together well.)
• Using a 1-ounce ice cream scoop, spoon out 80 balls of the carrot mixture and roll smooth. Place on sheet pans, cover, and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours.
• Roll the balls in flour and then deep-fry at 350°F for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown.
• Spoon 1 1/2 ounces of the pistachio sauce onto a small dish and top with 4 carrot fritters. Top with a mint leaf.
Makes 20 servings
• Place the pistachios, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley in a blender and pulse until well blended. Add the lemon juice and continue to pulse.
• Slowly add the oil to emulsify the sauce. If necessary, add water until the preferred consistency is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Refrigerate until serving.
Makes 3 1/2 quarts