Vegan Coconut Candy-Cane GelatoPrint
- 1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 2 14-oz. cans coconut milk
- 1 5.4-oz. can coconut cream
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tsp. + 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, puréed or mashed with a fork
- Fresh strawberries, shaved coconut, and mini candy canes, for garnish
- Add the cashews, coconut milk, and coconut cream to a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the blender speed to medium-low and add 3/4 cup of the agave, 2 teaspoonfuls of the vanilla, the peppermint extract, and 1 pinch of the salt. Increase the speed to high and blend for another minute.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours.*
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and the remaining agave, vanilla, and salt.
- Add a small amount of the strawberry mixture to the bottom of a glass, then add a layer of the gelato and repeat.
Garnish with fresh strawberries, shaved coconut, or mini candy canes—or all three.
*Alternatively, if you have an ice cream maker, follow the instructions for using it and then freeze the gelato.
This recipe is courtesy of Millie’s Gelato—find a location near you to try all the flavors!
Makes 8 to 10 servings