3 Russet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
Boiling water sufficient to steam the potatoes
1/2 cup water
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika or chili powder
5-6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters (optional)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
• Steam the potatoes over the boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the water over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until the water has evaporated and the onion begins to stick to the pan.
• While scraping the pan, add the remaining water. Cook until the onion begins to stick again. Add additional water as needed and continue cooking for approximately 15 minutes, or until the onion is very brown and sweet.
• Add the potatoes, soy sauce, black pepper, and paprika or chili powder. Cook, turning gently with a spatula, until the potatoes are golden brown.
• If desired, garnish with the cherry tomatoes and the green onions.
Makes 4 servings