Basic Cashew Cheese SaucePrint
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour and drained, water reserved
- 5–6 Tbsp. reserved soaking water
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- Combine the cashews, 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the reserved soaking water, the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and miso in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add up to 2 tablespoons more water for a thinner sauce.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. The cheese will thicken when chilled, so you may need to add more water to thin it back out.
Recipe from But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan!: 125 Recipes to Win Everyone Over © Kristy Turner, 2016. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Try this “cheese” on Kristy Turner’s Double-Double Cheeseburgers!