2 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar or other sweetener
1/4 cup oil
4 ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 2 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
• In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and the oil, then add the bananas and mix thoroughly. Add the water and the vanilla and stir to combine.
• Add the flour mixture and the chopped walnuts and stir to combine.
• Spread into a greased 9-inch square pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes 9 servings