The 15th Annual Libby Awards Recognize Stars Who Push Animal Rights Ahead
For Immediate Release:
December 16, 2020
Moira Colley 202-483-7382
Los Angeles – For leading by vegan example, creating a cruelty-free makeup line, urging fans to boycott SeaWorld, speaking out against tiger selfies, adopting a pup during quarantine, and rescuing a drowning duckling, Lizzo, Selena Gomez, Miguel Bernardeau, Madelaine Petsch, Lily Collins, and Grayson Dolan have all been named winners of PETA’s 15th annual Libby Awards.
“Libby” is short for “liberation”—as in animal liberation—and the awards recognize the individuals, products, and brands that go above and beyond for animals:
- Lizzo won Favorite Vegan Cooking Videos for her good as hell TikTok creations, including an all-vegan Thanksgiving spread.
- Selena Gomez’s Rare Beauty—which contains no animal ingredients and is certified cruelty-free by PETA—won Favorite Vegan Makeup Line.
- Riverdale star Madelaine Petsch won Favorite Post for Animals by reminding her more than 21 million Instagram followers that “animals belong in the wild” and that tiger cubs used as photo props are “ripped away from their mothers” to endure a lifetime of misery.
- Emily in Paris star Lily Collins won Most Pawsitive Quarantine Story for adopting her new best friend, Redford, from an animal shelter and not buying a dog from a breeder or pet store.
- Elite’s Miguel Bernardeau won Favorite PETA Collab for his “Boycott SeaWorld” ad, telling PETA in a behind-the-scenes video, “People my age, we don’t want to see animals in captivity. We want to keep orcas and dolphins in the ocean, where they belong.”
- YouTube star Grayson Dolan won Most Inspiring Act of Kindness to Animals for rescuing a drowning duckling from a lake.
“These compassionate celebrities didn’t let the pandemic stop them from walking the walk when it comes to kindness to animals,” says PETA Senior Director of Youth Programs Marta Holmberg. “PETA is honoring the superstars who are leading by example and proving that helping animals can be as simple as whipping up jackfruit enchiladas or buying a vegan lipstick.”
Each of the winners will receive a framed certificate. Other 2020 nominees included Billie Eilish, Kesha, Lili Reinhart, Tabitha Brown, Malia Baker, Haile Thomas, and Ethan Dolan.
PETA—whose motto reads, “Animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way”—opposes speciesism, a human-supremacist worldview that fosters violence toward other animals. For more information, please visit PETA.org or follow the group on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.