Ever have one of those cravings you just can’t shake? That was me this past weekend. I was craving doughnuts, and nothing was going to stop me from satisfying my sweet tooth. Luckily, I found this recipe from Vegan Yum Yum and just couldn’t resist.
These doughnuts were all I’d hoped for and more and were the perfect late morning treat this past Sunday. Enjoy!
Baked Vegan Doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. (scant) nutmeg
1 dash cinnamon
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. cinnamon apple sauce)
¼ cup vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into an ungreased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers―this will make for more even, prettier doughnuts but isn’t crucial.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean. Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Top with a glaze, melted chocolate, and/or sprinkles if desired.
Make 20 mini-doughnuts or 10 regular-sized doughnuts
Now I’m off to master a recipe for vegan pumpkin doughnuts. To be continued …