Ever have one of those cravings you just can’t shake? That was me this past weekend. I was craving doughnuts, and nothing was going to stop me from satisfying my sweet tooth. Luckily, I found this recipe from Vegan Yum Yum and just couldn’t resist.
You can easily find doughnut pans online, or at specialty home and craft stores. But if you don’t have a doughnut pan on hand, a cupcake pan will also work!
These doughnuts were all I’d hoped for and more and were the perfect late morning treat this past Sunday. Enjoy!
Baked Vegan Doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. (scant) nutmeg
1 dash cinnamon
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 1 egg (or 2 Tbsp. cinnamon apple sauce)
¼ cup vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine the wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat and mix until the margarine is just melted. This mixture should be just slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into an ungreased nonstick doughnut pan. Smooth out the top of each dough with your fingers―this will make for more even, prettier doughnuts but isn’t crucial.
- Bake for 12 minutes. They should not be browned on top, but a toothpick will come out clean. Invert the hot pan over a cutting board or cooling rack to release the doughnuts. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Top with a glaze, melted chocolate, and/or sprinkles if desired.
Make 20 mini-doughnuts or 10 regular-sized doughnuts
Now I’m off to master a recipe for vegan pumpkin doughnuts. To be continued …