February 19, 2015
This ordinance restricts unattended chaining to one hour in any 24-hour period.
SECTION 505.011 DOGS RUNNING AT LARGE
(C) Tethering dogs
(3) No person shall tether or cause to be tethered any dog that is not in the immediate proximity of its owner or custodian except under ALL the following conditions:
- a) the owner or custodian is present on the property
- b) such tethering does not exceed sixty (60) continuous minutes
- c) the dog is six (6) months of age or older
- d) if female, the dog is sterilized or not in estrus
- e) the tether does not exceed ten percent (10%) of the dog’s body weight
- f) the tether is at least three (3) times the length of the dog from the tip of its nose to the base of its tail
- g) the tether allows the dog to easily sit, stand, lie, turn around, and make all other normal body movements in a comfortable normal position for the dog
- h) the tether allows the dog in interact safely with other animals, if at all
- i) the tether is appropriate for the age and size of the dog and attached to the dog by a properly fitted collar or body harness configured to prevent the dog or tether from becoming entangled with other objects or animals or from extending over an object or edge that could result in he [sic] strangulation or injury of the dog
- j) only one dog is attached to a single tether; and
- k) the dog is not tethered in such a manner to permit the dog to cross and enter upon another’s property, except that the same shall not be unlawful if the affected property owner or person having lawful possession thereof provides consent.