This ordinance bans unattended tethering. Dogs are permitted to be tethered to a trolley only if their guardian is with them.
(k) “Tethering” shall mean the restraint used as a chain or rope and is regulated as follows. Direct point chaining or tethering of dogs to a stationary object is prohibited. Dogs may be restrained by means of a trolley system, or a tether attached to a pulley on a cable run, if the following conditions are met:
(1) Only one (1) dog may be tethered to each cable run.
(2) The tether must be attached to a properly fitting buckle type collar made of nylon or leather and not less than one inch wide or harness worn by the dog, with enough room between the collar and the dog’s throat through which two (2) fingers may fit. Choke collars and pinch collars are prohibited for the purposes of tethering a dog to a cable run.
(3) The tether has the following properties:
(A) It is at least five times the length of the dog’s body, as measured from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.
(B) It terminates at both ends with a swivel.
(C) It does not weigh more than one-fourth (1/4) of the dog’s weight
(D) It is free of tangles
(4) The tether and cable run must be of adequate size and strength to effectively restrain the dog. The size of the tether must not be excessive, as determined by the animal services officer, considering the age, size, and health of the dog and the weight of the tether may not exceed 25% of the dog’s weight.
(5) The cable run must be at least ten (10) feet in length and mounted at least four (4) feet and no more than seven (7) feet above ground level.
(6) The length of the tether from the cable run to the dog’s collar should allow access to the maximum available exercise area and should allow continuous access to food, water, and shelter. The trolley system must be of an appropriate configuration to confine the dog to the owner’s property, to prevent the tether from extending over an object or an edge that could result in injury or strangulation of the dog, and to prevent the tether from becoming entangled with other objects or animals.
(7) The dog is not outside during a period of extreme weather, including without limitation extreme heat or near freezing temperatures, thunderstorms, or tornadoes.
(8) The dog has access to water, food, shelter, and dry ground.
(9) The dog is at least six (6) months of age. Puppies shall not be tethered.
(10) The dog is not sick or injured.
(11) A trolley may not be used during the hours of 6 P.M. to 6 A.M.
(12) The area where any animal is confined must provide proper and adequate drainage.
(13) The owner or responsible party for the animal shall be on the premises and in visual range then the animal is confined to the trolley system.