November 26, 2012
Animals may not be tethered for more than two hours in a continuous period of 12 hours. Animals may not be tethered unless a responsible party is outside and within visual range of the animal. Animals under 6 months of age may not be tethered.
Sec. 4-5 – Animal Care Generally
c) It shall be unlawful for a responsible party to tether an animal while outdoors, except when all of the following conditions are met:
- The animal must be over the age of six months.
- The animal is in visual range of the responsible party and the responsible party is located outside with the animal.
- The animal is not tethered more than 2 hours in any continuous 12 hour period.
- The tether is connected to the animal with a buckle type collar or a body harness made of nylon or leather not less than one inch in width and is one inch greater in diameter than the animal’s neck or torso.
- The tether has the following properties:
a. A minimum twelve foot length
b. A swivel type termination at both ends.
c. Is not made of chain.
d. Total weight does not exceed ten percent of the animal’s body weight, and
e. Is fabricated of a material that prevents tangles.
- The animal is not outside during extreme weather including, but not limited to, extreme heat, temperatures below 36 degrees Fahrenheit, snow, hail, tornadoes, thunderstorms, tropical storms or hurricanes.
- The animal is tethered so as to prevent injury, strangulation, or entanglement.
- The animal has access to water, food and shelter.
- The animal is not tethered where any object may interfere or impede free movement of the tether.
- The animal is not sick or injured.
- The animal is not tethered in such proximity to any other tethered animal that would allow entanglement.
- The animal is not tethered on any property with an unoccupied dwelling to include, but not limited to, abandoned or condemned buildings.
- Any pulley, running line or trolley system to which a tether is attached shall be no less than fifteen feet in length and no more than seven feet above ground.