April 26, 1999
Dogs may not be chained for a period longer than five continuous hours in a 24-hour period.
Sec. 3-124. Confinement of dogs.
A. The owner of any dog shall provide the animal with adequate shelter that meets the minimum specifications of this subsection. Said shelter shall: 1. Allow the dog to remain dry and protected from the elements; provided, that metal barrels shall not be considered adequate shelter;
2. Be small enough to retain the dog’s body heat and large enough to allow the animal to stand and turn comfortably;
3. Be structurally sound and in good repair;
4. Contain adequate and appropriate bedding.B. Any owner of any dog that elects to confine the animal to a pen or enclosure shall, in addition to the requirements of subsection A of this section, provide a pen or enclosure that meets the minimum specifications of this subsection. Said pen or enclosure shall: 1. Have not less than one hundred (100) square feet of space for each adult dog, provided that boarding kennels shall be exempt from this provision;
2. Provide adequate drainage to prevent surface water from standing in the area of the pen or enclosure where the dog is kept;
3. Be maintained in compliance with section 3-6 of this chapter.
Sec. 3-125. Use of tie-outs and chaining limited.
A. It shall be unlawful for the owner of any dog to keep or maintain the dog on a tie-out consisting of a rope, chain or other type of tether for a period of more than five (5) continuous hours, or for any duration under conditions which threaten the health or well-being of the animal. At the end of any such period, the owner shall remove the tether from the dog and provide the dog with an adequate chance to exercise.
B. The owner of a dog maintained on a tether of any type shall properly fit the dog with a harness or buckle-type collar to which the tether shall be attached. The tether shall be of adequate length to allow reasonable exercise and access to water and shelter at all times, and shall not be subject to entanglement with other objects in a manner to cause the dog any injury or discomfort or be of a weight disproportionate to the size of the animal so tethered as to unduly burden the animal.
C. The owner of any cat shall not stake the cat outside on a leash, rope, chain, or similar tether.
D. The requirements of this section shall apply during the twenty-four hours of each day.