Vegetarian Cats and Dogs

If you have been feeding your companion animals commercial pet foods, you may be jeopardizing their health. Supermarket pet foods are often composed of ground-up parts of animals deemed by U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors unfit for human consumption. The flesh of animals who fall into one of the categories of the four D’s—dead, dying, diseased, or disabled—is what often goes into pet food. Many of these animals have died of infections and other diseases.

In all but a few states it is legal to remove unusable parts from chickens and sell them to pet food manufacturers. Most pet foods contain the same hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that are found in commercial meat products for humans. If you are concerned about your companion animals’ health and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food.

Vegetarian Dogs and Cats

Many vegetarians and vegans feed healthful, meatless diets to their companion animals. One remarkable example is that of Bramble, a 27-year-old border collie whose vegan diet of rice, lentils, and organic vegetables earned her consideration by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest living dog in 2002. Studies have shown that the ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and kidney, heart, and bone problems, also affect many nonhumans. Pet food has also been recalled during mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), scares because of the risk that contaminated meat was processed into the food. One deputy commissioner states that cats especially “are susceptible to BSE.”

The nutritional needs of dogs and cats are easily met with a balanced vegan diet and certain supplements. James Peden, author of Vegetarian Cats & Dogs, developed Vegepet™ supplements to add to vegetarian and vegan recipes. They are nutritionally balanced and also come in special formulas for kittens, puppies, and lactating cats and dogs.

Some people wonder if it’s “unnatural” to omit meat from the diet of a dog or cat. Animals in the wild commonly eat quite a lot of plant matter. Besides, to feed them the meat that they would naturally eat, you would have to serve them whole mice or birds or allow them to hunt for themselves, an option that is unfair to native species of birds and other small animals, since companion cats and dogs have been removed from the food chain and have advantages that free-roaming animals lack. Vegetarian or vegan dogs and cats enjoy their food and good health, and a vegetarian diet for your companion animal is ethically consistent with animal rights philosophy.

Important Supplements

Making vegetarian food for dogs is easy because dogs are omnivorous and usually hearty eaters. Recipes for vegetarian and vegan dogs are available along with the Vegedog™ supplement from James Peden’s company, Harbingers of a New Age. It is important to follow directions carefully. If you make any changes in ingredients, make sure that you do not change the nutritional balance of the recipe. If a dog receives too little protein, calcium, or vitamin D, his or her health could be jeopardized.

Additionally, some dogs need two amino acids called L-carnitine and taurine which are not generally added to commercial dog foods and can be insufficient in homemade dog food as well. A deficiency of these nutrients can cause dilated cardiomyopathy, a serious illness in which the heart becomes large and flabby and can no longer function. This illness generally strikes young or middle-aged dogs who are deficient in L-carnitine or taurine because of breed, size, individual genetic make-up, or diet. Supplemental L-carnitine and taurine can be bought at your local health food store

Cats are often more finicky than dogs, and their nutritional requirements are more complicated. Cats need a considerable amount of vitamin A, which they cannot biosynthesize from carotene, as dogs and humans do. Insufficient amounts may cause loss of hearing, as well as problems with skin, bones, and intestinal and reproductive systems. Cats also need taurine. A feline lacking taurine can lose eyesight and could develop cardiomyopathy. Commercial pet food companies often add taurine obtained from mollusks. James Peden found vegetarian sources of both taurine and vitamin A, plus arachidonic acid, another essential feline nutrient. He then developed veterinarian-approved supplements Vegecat™ and Vegekit™ to add to his recipes. These recipes are probably the healthiest way to feed cats a vegan diet at this time.

Dogs and cats who are eating only cooked or processed food also benefit from the addition of digestive enzymes to their food. These are obtainable through animal supply catalogs and health food stores. Any raw vegetables in a dog’s diet should be grated or put through a food processor to enhance digestibility.

Companies That Sell Vegan Dog and Cat Food

If you decide to prepare your own vegetarian dog or cat food, we recommend that you read Vegetarian Cats & Dogs to ensure that you understand the nutritional needs of dogs and cats. Do not rely on this factsheet for complete information. The book has several recipes and helpful hints. If your library or bookstore doesn’t have it, you can order it from Harbingers of a New Age.

Making the Adjustment

To help with the adjustment to a vegetarian or vegan diet, start by mixing the vegetarian food in with what you usually serve. Gradually change the proportion until there is no meat left. If your efforts are met with resistance, tempt your animal friends by adding soy milk, nutritional yeast (available at natural-food stores), olive oil, catnip (for cats), powdered kelp, baby food that doesn’t contain onions or other seasonings, or by serving it warm. Many cats like nutritional yeast and pieces of melon, and most love mashed chickpeas and veggie burgers. If your companion animals are addicted to supermarket pet food, it may take a while for them to adapt.

After switching dogs or cats to a vegetarian diet, monitor them closely to make sure that their new diet agrees with them, especially if they are still puppies or kittens. Watch for chronic gastrointestinal and skin problems, and note any new health problems. Most dogs and cats’ health improves on a vegetarian diet, but occasionally an animal may not thrive, so use common sense if this occurs.

Commenting is closed.
  • Katie says:

Looking at the Nature’s Recipe site it doesn’t appear to be vegan at all. I have a very large dog. Which brand would you recommend?

• vegancowgirl says:

My dog has been vegan his whole life, and my friends and neighbors have been very rude to me because of it. However, my next-door neighbor, who has been giving me the hardest time, just had to put his 14 year old lab mix to sleep due to poor health. Meanwhile, my 18 year old lab mix is still bouncing off the walls and hiking with me every weekend. To each his own.

• Cat Safety says:

Its important to provide the safety to your feline pets. One way to do is to have a outdoor cat enclosure. Your feline pets will move freely.

• Audrey says:

Im from Canada (province of Quebec) Where can I buy vegecat food??

• firefly says:

Thank you so much for doing these painful investigations. I don’t believe i would be able to do any. It is very disturbing that companies think they need to test on animals. Wrong on every level. I feel so bad that i had no idea that dogs and cats were going through this for dog and cat food. We (those who care) should be able to post information about this, in the supermarkets, dollar stores, and every store that sells animal test products, also show pictures of what these animals endure.

• I want a cheeseburger says:

My dog only eats meat. so do I, But I have found that all that is in this is chemicals that makes them lack the important proteins that they need for them to live a healthy life. So the next time that you thing about feeding yourself or your animal, Think, “What is this going to do to them in the long run”.

• Sarah says:

Thank you PETA for all that you do!

• Natalie says:

I just switched my dogs to V-Dog and they both love it! Going to research a bit more about cats/veggie diet, and then attempt to switch my kitty over as well!

• AnnaMaria says:

after watching Paul McCartney video about the so called meat industry ,the tortures and the screaming animals,its my first night im trying to turn my back to met and become a vegetarian .So please take the time and watch the video too if you are not vegetarian,and yo will also discover the need of monitoring a vegan diet for your house pet.At least i will try to convince my boyfriend,to serve vegan food to our 2 cats.. here is the link http://meat.org/?utm_campaign=0513+Meat+Org+Post&utm_source=PETA+Google+Plus&utm_medium=Promo

• Rocio says:

I’m in Bolivia, and i recently started feeding my dog with supermarket pet food, dog chow and some latin american brand ricocan, are there is not an available list for companies not testing on animals in south america, how can i verify this information?
    thanks

• shareen says:

This is great info for cats and dogs.
    Do you have any suggestions or resources for ferrets? I have three of them and as far as I know, they are “obligate carnivores”, meaning they have to eat meat, and only meat. If you know of any other information, I’d be happy to learn about it.
    Thanks!

• Vivian says:

Hi, I´m from Argentina and I would like to buy this supplement (Vegecat). How could I do to get it from here?

• GH says:

My “pound puppy” is 11 years old .. and has developed liver issues. The vet has recommended a veggie diet .. he just turned his nose up at he food he had been eating for most of his 11 years.
    We started on a “snack” made up of 3 sweet potatos, 1 cerial bowel full of carrots, 1 cerial bowel full of cellery, cooked in the microwave. .. then with a bit of water added.. then blended .. adding (only 1 small cooked chicken breast for flavour) and wheat bran .. blended to a consistance of thick pea soup.
    He’s been getting about 2 serving spoons of this twice a day (this mixture will last him about a week and a half to two weeks.
    Since he’s had his liver issues .. I saw on Dr. Oz that mixed greens are good for your liver too .. so I put about a hand full of mixed greens in a magic bullet with a bit of water and blend .. 1/2 for the morning snack and 1/2 for the afternoon snack .. along with the home made item above .. if need be I also can add a bit of brown rice to the mix too.
    My boy LOVES his snack :)
    I have also found sweet potato snacks .. freeze dryed like chicken…. another favourite snacke for my boy ..

• Renee says:

Just a note that Natural Life has discontinued their vegetarian formula. I’m really, really disappointed. My dog did really well on that food and it was affordable. Not sure what I’m going to do now.

• DaniDee says:

Its not about forcing our companion animals to our way of thinking. Its about knowing where the petfood is sourced. ‘Waste’ products ground up and conveniently canned up for our dogs and cats.

• Ceka says:

Humans are damaging enough for the environment in our plague proportions, let alone all the pets we breed to accompany us. And it’s well known that a vegetarian diet is better for the environment. Having a vegetarian pet is not cruel, it’s responsible.

• Sophie says:

I have read about vege diets for dogs in non animal rights canine publications but have to say even as a vegan, that I can’t fully support the idea that all cats and dogs can live on veggies diets. All my dog’s food and treats are fish based so that at least they don’t come from slaughterhouses. In an ideal world I’d love for my dog to be veggie but as a rescue with a delicate digestion, its just not an option. I do however know 2 vegan dogs who have both been labelled perfectly fit and healthy by their vets.

• jimbomcgrimbo says:

As a vegetarian myself, and a lecturer in animal biology as well as being a qualified veterinary nurse, I must point out that the idea of feeding cats (obligate carnivores) a vegan / vegetarian diet is frankly ridiculous and a recipe for disaster

• Hylobates says:

@Sara: Sorry to burst your bubble the society of meat lovers has cast upon you but, of course humans can have a healthy vegan life without any kind of supplements! Do some research before you spread nonsense. You indeed can not live on lettuce and cucumber alone, you will need a variety of components in your diet. But exactly this is what makes vegetarian/vegan people more healthy than the overconsuming meat eater.

• Andi says:

I’m so grateful that I learned about this years ago. All of the dogs I’ve had for the past 25 years have been vegan. It’s the greatest thing. My current dog is 14 yrs & so much energy, I have to jog to keep up with her sometimes. She’s about 40 lbs, lab mix. i haven’t tried it w/my cats because it’s too complicated for me right now. But, I’m so thrilled for James & all the other people who’ve take the time to learn about this & create healthy alternatives to the brutal slaughterhouse tortures. I suggest the people who’ve commented on dogs & cats should only have meat, have never experienced watching the daily hell of these other animals – being literally tortured to death. There are other countries who treat dogs & cats just like we treat our farm animals. They eat them, &, feel dogs & cats were put on this earth to be eaten, &, they treat them exactly like we treat our farm animals. It’s scary how our different societies have brainwashed, &, conditioned us so much from birth, that we cannot even open our minds to new ideas. Thank u so much PETA, &, James & everyone else who’ve had so much courage to think outside the box, &, stand up for your beliefs, especially considering all the attacks one can get just from their simple beliefs of wanting kindness towards all animals. PEACE & LOVE

• Ian McDonald says:

If you’d like to hear what vets – vegan and otherwise – say about whether cats can be vegan, have a listen to the Cats: Can they be vegan? episode of The Vegan Option.

I hear experiences and research about vegan cats from vets Lorelei Wakefield, Andrew Knight, and Jean Hofve – as well as from fellow podcaster Erin Red.

• ShelleyMaxwell says:

You’re all fools for perpetuating nonsense ideas like vegetarian/vegan pet diets. Just because humans choose to pursue this way of life does not mean your animals should! They are CARNIVORES. They NEED MEAT and should not be forced to squeeze by on vegetables and absurd supplements just to meet your skewed standards of mercy and kindness on other animals.

Know what you’re talking about before you go advertising things as safe.

• Jamb says:

‘Animals in the wild commonly eat quite a lot of plant matter.’

HERBIVORES might be the word you are looking for.

• Copper says:

Adina… I hate to break it to you, sweetie pie, but lions kill other animals all the time.

• Dylan221 says:

i once saw how many “claims” that feeding animals vegan food increases their longevity, and started my cat on one. DON’T RISK IT. AT least do some research on what they need, within a month the vet had said my cat went BLIND, and within a week she DIED. all after i started up on the vegan diet. turns out, cats DO need meat. Its like stopping wild tigers from eating meat, its STUPID and UN-NATURAL

• Sara says:

Is this for real… Good Lord, as if I didn’t think PETA was insane enough, now you want to force your pets to be vegan?? Even HUMANS can’t be (fully healthy) vegetarians/vegans without some sort of supplement… And cats/dogs need meat, not to mention you’re forcing your own MORALITY-BASED choices on them… I fully support not feeding them unhealthy food, but you guys realize that there are other options besides forcing them to behave in a way that is unnatural to them?
    Against animal cruelty… but support this kind of crap. Smart as ever, PETA.

• Kaycee says:

i would like to say that i am a vegetarian, and i would love for my dogs to join this journy with me, if you dont like the idea of a dog or cat being vegetarian then get off the page, instead of sharing your opinion that nobody cares about. im sorry i dont like the idea of raising and killing helpless animals for food if we dont need it to survive. some people like eating humans, but we dont have slaughter houses for people. get off the page or get on the same page.

• Kc says:

Im a recent convert to veganism and id love to make my dogs vegan too. I watched my dog when i was growing up suffer from degenerative myelopathy when he got older and he lost his ability to walk. Its a genetic disorder, but i cant help but wonder if hed have lived a healthier, longer life if he was vegan. My girls are both 2 years old now and im considering putting them on a vegan diet once ive got more information.

• luciecoyote says:

My dogs love steamed broccoli, carrots (raw and cooked), baked sweet potatoes, chick peas etc. When Lucie needs to shed a few pounds, I substitute green beans (no added sodium) for some of the kibble. They also like Kale (roasted not raw).

• Jason says:

I believe as long as you are providing a meal that is nutritionally balanced whether meat or not is ok for a dog.
    I’m a vegetarian but I believe dogs should eat meat. They are carnivores its what they do, whereas we are omnivores so we can get by on one or the other (for people that would use that in defence of there dog).
    You need to realise that you can make a dog vegetarian/vegan but you’ll be required to cook for the dog everyday. Time is always an issue these days.
    On the other hand why don’t you go to the butchers and get some meat where you are able to ask where it was from.
    All things lead to what you think is wright for your dog.

• Msav says:

Feeding your pet “commercial” pet foods is basically the equivalent of feeding yourself mcdonalds day after day. That’s not to say however that a vegetarian diet is optimal for your pet. It absolutely is not. Dogs and in particular cats really don’t consume a large amount of plant matter in the wild- yes they eat some but the bulk of the plants they eat is simply the digested bits found in the stomachs of their victims. Cats and dogs digestive tracts have hardly evolved from their wild ancestors. Just because grocery pet food brands are generally poor quality does not mean you should omit meat from their diet altogether. There are an abundance of other options to chose from- all you need to do is get yourself educated on what each ingredient in pet food actually means and chose a holistic food from a specialty pet food store. If you really want your Pet to have the best health look into feeding a raw food diet. Not a vegetarian diet, and certainly don’t feed your pet rice and other carbs on a regular
    Basis because that’s just terrible for them and will completely annihilate their teeth because their saliva can’t break it down. Anyway sorry for the novel but this article repulsed me to the point I had to say something

• Susie says:

Several years ago, my 17 year old dog was suffering from cancer. She was paralyzed neck down, and so badly bed-ridden, that she couldn’t even turnover to the other side. She was in so much constant pain, I made one of the most difficult decisions I ever had to make, which was to put her to sleep. The vet said I was lucky, to have a big dog live that long. But I knew something was wrong. A healthy dog who dies from old age should not go through that kind of suffering. I did a lot of research, and found that commercial pet foods is what causes all these diseases that animals get that people think are a normal part of life…cancer, heart disease, etc. Vegetarian dogs on a healthy diet live well into their 20’s. I believe it because at the time, I had a friend who also had a 17 year old big dog, but was a vegetarian, and he still acted like a puppy, running and jumping around! My dog could barely walk by the time she was 15 years old. I made a point to not get a new dog until my career slows down so that I can take the time to cook healthy, vegetarian meals for him/her. Knowing what I know now would be cruel to allow my new pet to live off commercial pet food. It’s like feeding them poison.

• Lynn says:

I don’t have any ethical issues with feeding a companion animal meat free … but I do have concerns about their nutritional needs being met. I have always been taught that dogs and cats need meat. NOT saying this is true … just what I’ve been taught. An article addressing this issue would really be appreciated. Not a political article, but one founded on science. I’d sure read it. That’s really my only concern.

• Linda says:

I was researching information on meat free diets for dogs. Bottom line is that I would want the healthiest diet for my dog. We currently feed him Taste of the Wild. I came across this information on Dog Food Advisor, which seems to make sense to me
    The website also evaluates many brands as well.

• Levi says:

You guys that think pets are unhappy when they don’t eat meat are crazy. There are no magical nutrients in meat that can’t be replaced by plant food that is digestible by dogs and cats. You might think it is cruel to provide vegan food for my pets, but I think it would be far more cruel to slaughter other animals to feed my pets.

• Mylittleangels says:

My beloved dogs love veggies, they do still eat commercial food tough. I do mix vegetables in their food, for treats they do enjoy fruits. Few days a month they do eat vegetarian food and I see how much they do like it. I know by fact they would not have any problem going vegan. I do not trust the commercial food at all, so I am without forcing them adding more veggies to their food to make the process easy in their digestive systems. They do not have any problem with this gradual change. It has been 2 years since I eat meatless and because I do not want to support animal cruelty at all I have decided to invite my precious fur babies to join me in this journey. As I said before they all seem happy with the change.

• sarah says:

Adina
    Do you get all your Knowladge of animals from disney movies? becuse you sure havent watched a Nature show or seen animals In real life. You know a cat will catch a small mamal and play with it for hours tell it finnally dies of its injurys? Seems like there having fun Killing to me? that Killer whales will play Toss the seal between eachother ripping pieces off it As a sorta social game? I think you need to Rethink your Knowladge on animals and How they act.

• Paige says:

Cats are obligate carnivores. It isn’t just about the nutrients. The form in which they’re presented is also critically important to the cat’s health. For optimal health it needs to be animal-based, not plant-based. A cat’s metabolism requires it. Any of Debra Zoran’s excellent articles explain the physiology very clearly and unequivocally.

• Adina says:

I can’t believe how many people think this is “forcing animals to abide by our beliefs” and that they were somehow “designed to eat meat”. Companion animals have lived for ages alongside humans and we have ALWAYS forced them to abide by our beliefs. They have evolved from genetically engineered forms and selections to ensure we humans are best pleased. Now if we want to be LESS selfish and ensure that all animals, not just pets, are happy, it is met with resistance and such moronic arguments like “look at their teeth”. Yeah, T-Rex had teeth, and it turns out it was a scavenger. Animals will do what they can to survive. It is not “in their nature” to kill. A happy lion just likes to sit in the sun. We are projecting our own lack of understanding and our cruelty over animals, but we have created their situation and it’s time for a rethink.

• Angela says:

Cats and dogs shouldn’t be subjected to a practice that humans choose voluntarily and are able to pull off. They are carnivores, while we are omnivores and are able to sustain ourselves on particular diets, whereas their bodies will suffer from malnutrition. It is selfish and cruel and there is no science to back up this behavior. Cat and dog food can be sketchy, but it usually serves its purpose. If you are severely distraught over the process in which cat and dog food is manufactured then I recommend that you provide your pet with food yourself, as in, dead mice, dead squirrels, etc. or even better, you can make a difference through activism, not through forcing vegetarianism or veganism on your pets.

• MissDemeaonor says:

Feeding your dog and cat vegetables will damage their health. This notion of vegetarian pets is retarded. Look at their teeth….it is made for eating meat. Their stomachs are not adapted to eating vegetables either. Vegetarian animals like cattle have a special extra stomach to digest plant cell-walls. Cats and dogs don’t have that (and neither does humans). If you want to give the best for your cat/dog, feed it raw meat.

• Ana says:

I’m vegetarian. I have a carnivore cat. I simply don’t see him eating vegetarian like I do. I eat spinach, he kills geckos and mice. That’s his nature. (Except if he had a chronic disease that would make meat intolerable for him) Besides, I consider that we as pet owners and vegetarians should look for brands that certify that the meat in it doesn’t comes from a bloody slaughter or isn’t infected, PETA has a list of brands that do certify this by the way. I think we should think this wisely.

• Ana says:

• Becca says:

That’s just plain cruel. Dogs and Cats are NOT vegetarians and we are in no position to make them so. We are in a position to make sure they eat healthily and don’t put crap in their bodies but to force them to be vegetarians? Plain cruelty. For a start Cats are hunters and will go out and kill. They are supposed to eat meat. I can’t believe any idiotic moronic human being would do this.

• Meatatarian says:

Sam is a liar if I ever knew one. But in any case, I do not believe in the cruelty to animals however, I will not subject my clearly carnivorous dog to a vegan diet. If you don’t want to feed your pet meat GET A RABBIT, don’t subject a dog or cat to your mad desires. Their bodies aren’t made to handle that stuff and PETA is lying about that dog eating solely lentils and rice and whatever. The article clearly says she eats meat as well, not to mention NONE of their claims are backed by REAL science. I’m sorry PETA but you guys are wrong again, whats next force feeding lions grass? Your pet is happiest eating what it was designed to eat no matter what you’d like to believe. They have canines and a digestive system meant to handle MEAT. Feel guilty? Buy a hamster or a rabbit or a llama.

• Kattitudes says:

To KatNoNo… you lack not only information, but compasion. I an animal activist for ALL animals, I don’t pick and choose. Clearly you don’t understand that buying pet food containing animal products is SUPPORTING ANIMAL CRUELTY. Do you honestly think they treat the ‘pet food’ cows, pigs and chickens better than they do when they are raised an processed for human consumption? Get with the programd, or get off the board!

• Charg says:

Comparing dog food with that of food that is suitable for human consumption is also ridiculous considering my dog will bury a piece of meat and dig it up a week later and eat it with no dire consequences. Like to see a human try do that and not get violently ill. And why is it that a dog doesn’t get sick from eating it?

• Charg says:

Dogs and cats can have allergies and intolerances to certain foods and additives so just because your pet appears healthier having eliminated commercial meat based pet food from their diet doesnt prove that the meat was doing them harm. It could have been another ingredient. They are not the same as humans and if they could speak for themselves and not have their nutritional needs dictated to them by their vegan owners then I am sure they would tell us they are meant to and prefer to have meat in their diet. Their teeth and their short digestive tracts are designed to eat and digest meat. My pets have all had meat as well as veggies in their diet and lived to a ripe old age. Forcing your pet to become vegan is a form of cruelty in itself. Animals don’t have morels and they eat purely to survive so forcing them to abide by your beliefs is wrong. If you don’t agree with them having meat in their diet then don’t own one.

• Jeanne says:

I have 2 dogs, a Karelian Bear Dog and a Chocolate Labrador Retriever. My Lab has Chronic Pancreatitis, and my vet recommended a diet change. Being that I am Vegan, I asked if I could put him on a Vegan diet, my vet agreed that I could, as his new nutritional diet was geared towards a Vegetarian/Vegan diet. He hasn’t had another pancreatic attack since he has been on his new diet, he has lost the weight that the vet recommended, he has way more energy…so that’s proof enough for me. :)

• KatNoNo says:

This isn’t backed up scientifically at all. You people shouldn’t believe most of the things you read on PETA, let alone this. A dog may or may not be able to live on a wholly vegan diet (I would not recommend it; at the very least don’t go VEGAN, simply vegetarian) but cats absolutely cannot live solely on a vegan diet. All these stories you people are sharing about cats living so long is easily answered; your cats are hunting and eating things behind your back. Even feeding a cat nothing but vegetables and fish is also damaging as fish can cause urine crystals in cats due to Vitamin E deficiency.

It’s abhorrently selfish to push your dietary choices onto your pets, and if you want to pursue a dietary lifestyle with pets, buy a vegetarian animal such as a rabbit.

Everybody has forgotten the age old phrase ‘choose your battles wisely.’ If one wants to pursue the lifestyle of fighting the mistreatment of livestock, that’s fine, but you cannot also then pursue a lifestyle in protecting dogs and cats. Attempting to help both is dangerous to cats and dogs, and not healthy for them.