Vegetarian Cats and Dogs

If you have been feeding your companion animals commercial pet foods, you may be jeopardizing their health. Supermarket pet foods are often composed of ground-up parts of animals deemed by U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors unfit for human consumption. The flesh of animals who fall into one of the categories of the four D’s—dead, dying, diseased, or disabled—is what often goes into pet food. Many of these animals have died of infections and other diseases.

In all but a few states it is legal to remove unusable parts from chickens and sell them to pet food manufacturers. Most pet foods contain the same hormones, pesticides, and antibiotics that are found in commercial meat products for humans. If you are concerned about your companion animals’ health and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food.

Vegetarian Dogs and Cats

Many vegetarians and vegans feed healthful, meatless diets to their companion animals. One remarkable example is that of Bramble, a 27-year-old border collie whose vegan diet of rice, lentils, and organic vegetables earned her consideration by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s oldest living dog in 2002. Studies have shown that the ailments associated with meat consumption in humans, such as allergies, cancer, and kidney, heart, and bone problems, also affect many nonhumans. Pet food has also been recalled during mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), scares because of the risk that contaminated meat was processed into the food. One deputy commissioner states that cats especially “are susceptible to BSE.”

The nutritional needs of dogs and cats are easily met with a balanced vegan diet and certain supplements. James Peden, author of Vegetarian Cats & Dogs, developed Vegepet™ supplements to add to vegetarian and vegan recipes. They are nutritionally balanced and also come in special formulas for kittens, puppies, and lactating cats and dogs.

Some people wonder if it’s “unnatural” to omit meat from the diet of a dog or cat. Animals in the wild commonly eat quite a lot of plant matter. Besides, to feed them the meat that they would naturally eat, you would have to serve them whole mice or birds or allow them to hunt for themselves, an option that is unfair to native species of birds and other small animals, since companion cats and dogs have been removed from the food chain and have advantages that free-roaming animals lack. Vegetarian or vegan dogs and cats enjoy their food and good health, and a vegetarian diet for your companion animal is ethically consistent with animal rights philosophy.

Important Supplements

Making vegetarian food for dogs is easy because dogs are omnivorous and usually hearty eaters. Recipes for vegetarian and vegan dogs are available along with the Vegedog™ supplement from James Peden’s company, Harbingers of a New Age. It is important to follow directions carefully. If you make any changes in ingredients, make sure that you do not change the nutritional balance of the recipe. If a dog receives too little protein, calcium, or vitamin D, his or her health could be jeopardized.

Additionally, some dogs need two amino acids called L-carnitine and taurine which are not generally added to commercial dog foods and can be insufficient in homemade dog food as well. A deficiency of these nutrients can cause dilated cardiomyopathy, a serious illness in which the heart becomes large and flabby and can no longer function. This illness generally strikes young or middle-aged dogs who are deficient in L-carnitine or taurine because of breed, size, individual genetic make-up, or diet. Supplemental L-carnitine and taurine can be bought at your local health food store

Cats are often more finicky than dogs, and their nutritional requirements are more complicated. Cats need a considerable amount of vitamin A, which they cannot biosynthesize from carotene, as dogs and humans do. Insufficient amounts may cause loss of hearing, as well as problems with skin, bones, and intestinal and reproductive systems. Cats also need taurine. A feline lacking taurine can lose eyesight and could develop cardiomyopathy. Commercial pet food companies often add taurine obtained from mollusks. James Peden found vegetarian sources of both taurine and vitamin A, plus arachidonic acid, another essential feline nutrient. He then developed veterinarian-approved supplements Vegecat™ and Vegekit™ to add to his recipes. These recipes are probably the healthiest way to feed cats a vegan diet at this time.

Dogs and cats who are eating only cooked or processed food also benefit from the addition of digestive enzymes to their food. These are obtainable through animal supply catalogs and health food stores. Any raw vegetables in a dog’s diet should be grated or put through a food processor to enhance digestibility.

Companies That Sell Vegan Dog and Cat Food

If you decide to prepare your own vegetarian dog or cat food, we recommend that you read Vegetarian Cats & Dogs to ensure that you understand the nutritional needs of dogs and cats. Do not rely on this factsheet for complete information. The book has several recipes and helpful hints. If your library or bookstore doesn’t have it, you can order it from Harbingers of a New Age.

Making the Adjustment

To help with the adjustment to a vegetarian or vegan diet, start by mixing the vegetarian food in with what you usually serve. Gradually change the proportion until there is no meat left. If your efforts are met with resistance, tempt your animal friends by adding soy milk, nutritional yeast (available at natural-food stores), olive oil, catnip (for cats), powdered kelp, baby food that doesn’t contain onions or other seasonings, or by serving it warm. Many cats like nutritional yeast and pieces of melon, and most love mashed chickpeas and veggie burgers. If your companion animals are addicted to supermarket pet food, it may take a while for them to adapt.

After switching dogs or cats to a vegetarian diet, monitor them closely to make sure that their new diet agrees with them, especially if they are still puppies or kittens. Watch for chronic gastrointestinal and skin problems, and note any new health problems. Most dogs and cats’ health improves on a vegetarian diet, but occasionally an animal may not thrive, so use common sense if this occurs.

Commenting is closed.
  • ginny walter says:

i have a question about tuna fish. how are they caught? How do I go about changing my cats diet to vegan? how will she get the protein she needs? I would love to get her on a vegan diet if I can. any ideas? thanks so much!!!

• sai says:

I am a vegeterian and i want to buy a dog which dog should i buy plzzzzzzzzzz tell me

• Sam says:

I have two rotweiler/german shepard mixes..they have been raised on vegetarian diet all of their lives. Being in the medical field and from a family of physicians,dentists,etc… and also being a vegan myself for the last 51 years and not to mention coming from a subcontinent of vegetarians, I emphatically believe that a vegetarian lifestyle is not only morally, consequentially ethical but physically beneficial. It’s the ignorant masses that are ill advised in a non scientific way that try to push their beliefs about the need for animal mass in our diets. All I can say is, get an unbiased education on animal physiology, anatomy and biochemistry. Ultemately, you have to be true to the evidence and information presented from the scientific world. All other information is heresay and/or belief based. Do your homework in a honest and unbiased way.

• Fruitarian Network says:

Vegan dogs and cats have longer life expectancy. Their kidneys
    last longer. There is less blockage of the urethra from excess protein. There are fweer food poisoning fatalities from
    the roadkill and slaughterhouse floor slop put into commercial pet foods.

• Jennifer says:

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years, a vegan for two and have a-lot of respect for PETA, but I have to disagree with a vegetarian diet for cats and dogs. I do agree that commercial pet food is crap because dogs and cats are 100% carnivores. I feed my pets a raw whole prey model diet. It sucks, but it’s necessary if you want to give them a species appropriate diet that nature intended. I make sure to support small farmers that believe in antibiotic free grass fed and finished. I do not support factory farming. Please do your homework. I wish my pets would thrive like I do on this diet, but unfortunately they don’t.

• gaby says:

OMG, i cant believe this … the dog people is a CARNIVORE get that into your pretty little heads !!! If it wasnt one it wouldnt have teeth like they do

• Meatloafs Kitchen says:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I make vegan and vegetarian dog treats and would love to share my web site with everyone http://www.meatloafsdogtreats.com

• Jill4peace says:

I meant to say that to ‘goodgrief’ what that person said is not true. Animals can be herbivore and tolerate a vegetarian diet with the correct balance and supplements.

• SacredBeliefco. says:

Im almost a full vegan, I do eat eggs that are not fertilized, and the chickens are my pets! So i know what they are eating, and they are happy. Anyhow i really wanna get my buddy axel, a 15 month pittbull, on a vegan diet as well. Like written in the bible, the lion shall eat hay with the lamb, so why not have heaven be a little bit closer. I cannot stand killing of animals, and i think if axel could talk hed agree with me, he loves whole carrots as a snack and will pretty much devour up all left over ground veggies from my juicer. I just wanna know that it is 100% safe!

• Simone says:

My old cat loved corn flakes and soy milk as a treat, they also like rice and chick peas. I think a 100% vegan diet is a big commitment for an owner to research and plan and could be appropriate for an inside cat (and most definitely for a dog), but it’s easier to get a herbivore animal companion.
    The premium foods all seem to have a high grain and legume protein content, so introducing less-processed forms of these rather than the cheap canned colored meat goo makes sense, even if it is slowly or only partial.

• Andrea says:

I do my best to be humane where I can. I’m not completely meat free but I have been doing my best to eliminate slowly. So far I have eliminated pork and beef for two years straight! I’m slowly working on chicken and fish but it’s really hard…Hearing that even pet food is filled with cruelty meat just astounds me. I honestly had NO idea about this and if it weren’t for PETA I would have never known. Now, I realize it’s harder for me to quit meat than it is my dog (because I say what my baby eats) but after reading about this..I WILL NOT! support this. I am going to look into providers that sell vegetarian products and make sure that they don’t conduct testing on other animals for the sake of profit. I’m getting really tired of this guys…Chicken and fish may be eliminated a lot sooner than expected.

• Melissa says:

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, I have to believe that people with a heart would not support this practice, no matter who the food is intended for. We as humans have evolved enough to have a duty to show compassion to animals who cannot speak for themselves. Please visit websites lime thegentlebarn.com to educate yourselves more on how these factory farm animals have feelings and much love and trust even at the hands of humans who would abuse and slaughter them.

• Anna says:

My dog lived on vegan diat 16+ years on vegan diat. She lived long and healthy live.

• Slatekid2004@yahoo.com says:

I can’t stand the argument that cats and dogs MUST EAT MEAT. It’s total crap.

The pet food industry as well as the meat and dairy industries love to scare the public into believing that without their products you will die from lack of nutrition.

I am HIV + since 2008 and have been Vegan since 2009 and I am in great shape. I am undetectable meaning that the amount of virus in me is so low that I will most likely get a negative test result if I were to take a basic HIV test today. My doctor always tells me how great I’m doing at staying healthy (never miss meds and eat a balanced vegan diet and exercise).

So my recommendation for vegan food is to learn to love to cook. It can be difficult to find vegan meals at fast food joints and restaurants. There are thousands of vegan recipes so lots of possibilities.

For protein be sure to eat rice, beans, and BOCA vegan chicken or burger patties. Tofu is a great food for vegans and can be made to taste almost like real meat.

Soy milk such as Silk brand is much healthier than even the lightest dairy milk.

I drink V8 or other fruit juice drinks that are at or close to 100% fruit juice content.

For desserts I have soy ice cream and I get cookies from the Dollar Tree that are vegan such as the mint fudge, fudge, and striped shortbread options.

Now for pets i believe that all animals have the right to life and so i will not kill one animal to sustain another. My pets are fed vegan diets a d sone may so its not what nature intended. My reponse is wake up pal, humans have been defying nature since we learned to make fire and tools. we then domesticated animals so that today we have wild and tame animals. Tame animals are not natural and often die without human care because they are so used to us taking care of them that they have difficulty adjusting to life without us. We take medications to cure or treat diseases keeping us alive longer than if nature was allowed to run its course.

Am I forcing my pets to be vegan? All pet owners force their pets to do various things like staying off the furniture, not barking, etc. We do these things because we care for the animals and we want to protect them. I wouldn’t feed my pets a vegan diet if I thought they were suffering. I want to tell you about my pets.

My pet dog (long-hair Chihuahua) has been with me since May 2010 when I found him at a bus stop scavenging for food.. He was skinny, mangy, and hungry. He was filthy and had fleas. He had a ratty collar and leash on so I thought he might be a runaway. I drove around the neighborhood looking for lost dog signs but didn’t find any. So I put him in my car and took him straight to vet. Nobody ever claimed him and so he became mine. I named him Chance and he has always been fed a vegan diet of Nature’s Recipe brand food. He is regularly seen by the vet and he has no health issues whatsoever.

My two cats (tabbies) have been with me several months and are on vegan diets as well and are healthy. Sophie and Layla are mother and daughter and are inseparable. A neighbor couldnt keep them anymore so she put up signs to give the cats up for free. She didnt expect someone to take both cats but i told her i couldnt bear to separate them so i took both.

They may hunt and eat meat while they are outside but I can’t control that behavior as it is their instinct. I have never seen them eat anything out therevand they havnt brought me back anything either. There is taurine in their Evolution brand cat food and they love the stuff. In fact all three pets eat too much and so I have to portion out their food because the vet told me they were obese when I was giving them free choice feeding. They are normal weight now.

So it is indeed possible to be happy healthy vegans for man and his furry friends.

• Riah says:

I am looking into a vegan or partially vegan diet for my cat for health reasons. He just had a cancerous tumor removed. Also I have just finished watching the documentary “Forks over Knives” which points out the correlation between animal meat and cancer. I also don’t agree with the ethics of slaughter houses. A completely vegan diet for cats concerns me though, due to the way their digestive systems work. Also, whoever said the “terror and pain” of the animal is not good for cats obviously doesn’t know that cats are natural predators, and would rip another animal apart while it dies. That’s just nature, and it’s okay. However I do think there are many health benefits to a vegan or partial vegan diet.

• Nick says:

I do enjoy all the ignorant people basing the life of an animal to be longer if it was vegan. I had a cat that live till 25. I don’t think I ever once gave it vegan food. Weird how it lived so long on “diseased meat.”

• Joyce says:

Cats do not thrive well when they eat the terror and pain, the stress hormones of the animals bodies contained in the cans of food or bags of kibble. My kitty, Bagger was eighteen years old. If I had changed him sooner, he may have lived another four or more years, as he should. We have long known that our mind controls most of our body’s responses. The AMA many years ago stated that 80% of disease can be directly attributable to stress. The American Heart Assn states that we must lower our stress levels to prevent heart attack and stroke. Are we now saying that the deadly hormones produced by humans under stress are not produced by animals? Or that the amount produced is not harmful to humans? Or that animals do not stress out like humans do and the tortuous lives and cruel endings do not produce many stress hormones? Come on, give me a break. How long are you going to believe those lies? As long as it suits the purpose of continuing to hide in the sand from the neck up? How would a huge dose of those hormones affect a human? Say, one the size of a child or smaller? Like the size of a typical dog or cat? You think this is healthier than a vegan diet of pure foods that are whole and not loaded with toxins and hormones, fear, terror and death? Animals in the wild are NOT carnivores. In hunting, they first take the intestines and stomach area, NOT the muscle. It is the area full of what? Oh, yeah, vegetation. Wolves are known to eat a lot of vegetation and not because they are sick. Unless of course we are being thrown a curve by National Geographic, the Discovery Channel and several major universities.

• goodgrief says:

Cats are OBLIGATE CARNIVORES. This means that they must eat meat to thrive. Cats’ bodies are not designed to process vegetable matter, and they will derive very little benefit from protien sources that ate not meat. Regardless of how many supplements you add. Good Grief.

• Kate says:

Can you tell me what vege cats can eat? My cat has allergy (pollen, foods-protein), and he easily gets colitis. I gave him Duck and Pea cat foods (he has itchy skin problem), and now he has diarrhea. I am considering of vegetarian diet (plant based protein).

• deebunkk says:

so is ok too eat animals?

• fred says:

i feed my dogs ground up meats from hunting, with filaments of corn and spinach/carrot, and they are both 17 and my vet says they are both healthy.

• Ruth says:

All my animals were Vegan and they all lived a long time, I had dogs, cats, birds, rabbits and hamsters.

• Anabrese says:

I have been raw vegan for over 10 years. My companion animals are pet rats and they eat a mainly raw vegan diet too. I would not simply feed a standard vegan diet without supplementation, I think that may be true for most diets these days due to the quality of the food. My rats do very well on their diet and the bonus is that I don’t have to kill another living thing for them to eat healthily and thrive.

• Verena says:

It may be possible to feed a dog vegetarian food but not a cat. The moment the cat leaves the house she/he will go hunting for mice and rats. Also I think it is very experimental to try and make one’s cat a vegetarian. I am vegetarian and am for all humans to give up meat but wouldn’t force this on my cat. Nature made them that way in the wild to balance the world. The only beings disrupting the balance are humans. I am for organic food for companion animals though!

• pattijor says:

My dog loves my Ives hot dogs, carrots, etc. You have to be careful making yr own, b/c some food, like onions are bad for them. Buy organic from a good company or if vegan, make sure it has all the nutrition they need.

• Jon says:

How does anyone know if it is really “humane” feeding vegetables to a dog or cat? They may eat it, but that does not mean that they prefer it.

My old dog was in a bad way before he died, but when I came in from the restaurant at 1am with a leftover steak for him, he would wag his tale and greet me. He did not stir for much else, not even premium dog food!

• Julie Turner says:

I am open. Cats needed to be carnivorous in the wild, but not if they are indoor cats. I’m looking into it cos my kitten loves beans.

• Megan says:

Cats are carnivores. End of story. I am all for humans being vegan, even dogs. But cats don’t have the equipment to handle it. If you want a companion animal that is consistent with your vegan philosophy, buy a rabbit.

• Anna says:

Here’s an interesting website written by a vet http://www.bunnieseatgrass.com/index.htm
    its got lots of well informed information about pet nutrition and does not endorse any commercial brands.

• ivette says:

Thank you very much for the information

• Fern says:

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH. Dogs are OMNIVORES like us. NOT carnivores. Or how could they eat veg at all? All this ‘natural’ diet rubbish. Don’t forget dogs as we know them are themselves man-made. Their ‘natural diet’ is what humans feed them! Of COURSE they can thrive! Look up ‘Bramble’ the 27 year old VEGETARIAN dog. Dogs will eat what tastes good to them, it’s up to us to offer something tastey and nutritious; be it meat or vegetables. Meat isn’t a magic substance, it’s not unique. What’s in meat, the nutrtional content, can be offered in different foods. We don’t NEED it, and neither do our canine companions. So narrow minded.

• VileBe4uty says:

Contrary to everyone’s posts, dogs are not carnivores; they are omnivores, meaning they eat both plant and animal based foods. However, canines are perfectly able to transition into a completely vegan diet and live a healthier happier life. Research supports a longer life in vegan dogs quite simply because domesticated dogs are no longer in the wild and therefore have significant life style changes, allowing a vegan diet to work. Any one who owns a dog knows they love vegetables. My grandparent’s dog love carrots and corn. In fact, she preferred steamed carrots, potatoes, and corn over meat given to her from the table. That right there speaks volumes.

Cats, on the other hand, are carnivores, so switching them to a vegan diet is much more difficult. I do not suggest cats going vegan simply because of the issues that arise. I agree that a more humane pet food needs to be introduced to the market, and there are already companies working toward it. Currently, we own two very large cats (maincoon minx mixes) and the one had a tendency to develop bladder stones. Because of this, we cannot put him on a vegan diet since many of the products are considered “fillers” which is what is causing his stones. Instead, he is one a special high acid diet with no fillers. He hates it, but its keeping him healthy and has more nutrients in it that traditional foods.

You need to do what is best for your pet. If he means having a vegan dog, do it, because it works. If you are able to put your cats on a vegan diet with supplements, do it. If not, try to get the humane foods without sacrificing quality. You’re pets deserve the best, whether its veg*n or not.

• Kristy says:

@liz

It’s quite obvious that you have NOT read the label of your cat’s food. Purina Indoor cat food ingredients:

Corn Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Soy Flour, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Form of Vitamin E), Powdered Cellulose, Salmon Meal, Soybean Hulls, Malt Extract, Brewers Dried Yeast, Animal Digest, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Sulfate, Parsley Flakes, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, blue 2), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite. E-4500.

Number one ingredient, Corn… Something that NO can can digest (humans can’t even fully digest corn and we ARE omnivores… Cats are not) Number two CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT!!! Do you know what byproduct is? It’s feet, beaks, feathers, intestines, bones, etc.
    Number three ingredient MORE CORN! Did you know that purina is the company that locked 18 golden retreiver puppies in cages for 16 years and fed some of them less than appropriate food amounts so they’d stay underweight so they could check and see if they lived longer? Starved to see if that would make them live longer? That’s just wrong… Kept in a barren crate for 14 years with no human love and compassion until you die so that the company can claim that their food is good for you? That’s wrong.

Change your pet’s food now.

• nicky2pints says:

I can not understand when people say it is cruel not to feed your dog meat. I say to them you try and eat supermarket dog food for a week! Of course there reply “well it is not for humans”..well are you not a meat eater too, then surely you can live off that if you are! The answer is you would become very ill – which is what is happening to your dog!

Also, when people say in the wild they would eat meat…that is true but my dog is sitting on the sofa with me watching TV! They eat meat in the wild because they need to, as it is the only source of food around them to obtain proteins etc.

Put it to the test…put a veggie dog food on one dish and a meat based dog food on another dish and see which one your dog goes to eat…then you have your answer about choice!

• Alexandra says:

I totally agree with you, Rory. Domestical animals can not be compared with animals living in the wild, and consequently need a different diet. If you want your pet t eat the way it would eat in nature, you will have to make him hunt, something he can’t possibly do. My dog lives on steamed veggies and tofu, and he’s in perfect shape! Unlike other Jack Russells i see in the park, which are too fat and unhealthy.

• liz says:

I feed my cat bella an indoor cat food by purina that is all vegetable. she cannot handle meat products…she will be 7 yrs old this july and weighs 12 pounds and is very healthy… no more problems with skin or stomach since i switched her 4 yrs ago. My husband had a cat when we first met, that threw up her food all of the time..when bella and i moved in she began eating the same catfood and does not get sick on her stomach anymore.

• Laura says:

This is NOT TRUE. I have two cats and tried a vegan diet for them, it did not work, they first got sick and then stopped eating, I even tried the suplements, it didn’t work. First, they do not like it AT ALL, and second, and more important, it was making them weak and sick! Cats are carnivores, period, it’s not their fault, their digestive system is made for eating meat, it’s just nature. Even Vegancats.com advices meat for some cats!And what about recovering and sick cats? they wont survive on a vegan diet. We should be worrying about building a more humanitarian pet food industry and not about turning our pets vegan!

• Diana says:

Dear Sceptics,

it’s about nutrients, not meat.

If you think it’s about meat, you don’t know anything about nutrition and physiology.

If you want to insist on giving them meat, offer them your leg or your arm. Turn yourself into raw food, that’s considered especially healthy.

Or: Don’t do to others what you don’t want to be done to.

And remain humble as long as you don’t anything about the subject.

Just because you don’t have the guts to be vegan doesn’t mean your “pets” can’t.

• retroboy says:

YOU FAILED BASIC BIOLOGY!
    cats and dogs are carnivores by nature (AKA eating meat not vegetables)
    in other words its unhealthy to ONLY feed them vegetables (you can feed them vegetables but their primary food source should be meat like in nature)

• Rory says:

you’re a fuckwit “Keecia” * peta is simply telling the ugly truth about dog/cat food * any essential nutrients that meat can provide can also be delivered through a vegetarian diet * how is wanting your pet to eat healthily and prevent innocent creatures from being tortured and murdered “egotistical”? * peta endorses civility where as you support the abominable evil that is the meat industry * the SHAME’S on YOU *

• Keecia says:

If you really cared about the ethical treatment of animals, you would advocate the most natural lifestyle for them possible. It is unethical to impose a substandard diet on your pet, such as a vegetarian or vegan diet, when they are carnivores. One border collie living an extremely long time is purely anecdotal evidence. Shame on you, PETA, for serving nothing more than your human ego.

• Kyra says:

Judy; I’m glad you contacted Friskies. It is what I should have done immediately after opening a can of salmon-flavored Friskies and seeing a puddle of neon pink dye. Apparently this is what is used to make the food “look” like salmon.

• Kyra says:

• Zrcalo says:

Now, I’m really skeptical about vegan/vegetarian diets for cats, but I will say this.
    I was originally feeding my cats purina cat chow and they kept having health problems and weight issues. fed them that for 7 years. turned around the package and was shocked at the fat content. So I switched to purina one. Not only are my cats healthier, but their fur is softer and their teeth is better! Also, they’ve lost alot of weight and enjoy going outside more often!

pet food quality is always something to look for!

• Angela says:

@ Genevieve… Very well put and I agree. Thanks for the product referrals too :)

• Genevieve Hannon says:

PETA is absolutely correct about supermarket brands and many other commercial brands of pet food being very low quality and detrimental to your pet’s health. Dry food (kibble) is overall not healthy for cats additionally. Feeding a cat brands like Friskies is like serving your kids MacDonald’s or Cheetos every day. You are literally killing your cat. The vet Rx brands are very low quality too, sadly. Please read a great book called “Food Pets Die For” – it’s an expose on the Pet Food Industry. However, a vegetarian or vegan diet for dogs and cats is highly species-inappropriate and could be just as dangerous to their health as crappy commercial pet food. Try making a home cooked meal (or better yet, a raw diet) of meats that you have sourced from kinder farmers who treat their animals with respect. Please do not impose your morals, though, on your pets. They are not us. They are carnivores (esp. cats who are obligate carnivores). I recommend commercial raw food from Stella and Chewey’s or Primal. Theye are meat-based proteins with only a small amount of fruits and veggies, and no grains – all organic, free-roaming, humanely raised, pasture-raised. Or at last higher quality canned wet food. The only dry kibble I would recommend are Origen, Timberwolf or the like. See http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com or http://www.petfoodratings.net for a guide.

• Cam says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t think this will work. Dogs are very close relatives to wolves, which are carnivores. A natural diet should be provided for your dog, not just veggies and tofu.

• Judy says:

I opened a can of Friskies and it looked rotten in the center. I pulled that out and inspected it. It was small pieces of metal. Imagine what that could have done to my cats if they had eaten it.I wrote the company. They apologized and could not explain it as they “RUN MAGNETS OVER THE FINISHED PRODUCT TO REMOVE FOREIGN DEBRIS BEFORE CANNING.”WHAT IS THAT FOREIGN DEBRIS AND WHAT IS IT DOING IN FOOD ??? They are responsible to no one except themselves.Money is all that matters to many animal food producers.
    Go to Susan Thixton’s site and discover the horrific ingredients in the animal food you buy.

• Tenzin says:

My cat has been on Friskies his entire 13 years and recently been diagnosed with cancer. Yet even vets claim it has nothing to do with their diet. Someone should really investigate these commercial products and provide research findings!

• gina says:

I need to know which is the best cheap healthy food in stock because i have 11 yorkie dogs and 1 germ shep with me and it can be expensive to buy dog food if the bag is costly and don’t last.
    any advice here? thanks