What To Do With All That ‘Doo’?

Along with all the lovely things that our canine companions give us—including unconditional love, laughter, friendship, doggie kisses, joy, comfort, and an exercise partner who never bails out at the last minute—our dogs also give us a lot of, well, crap. You know what I’m talking about, dog guardians … the stuff you scoop up in plastic bags when you take Woofie for a walk.

Cleaning up after our pals is a tiny price to pay for their friendship. But what to do with all this “doo”? Sure, you can toss it out with the trash, but then it’s just going to sit in a landfill—and that’s not so nice for our beautiful planet. There may be a better way.

According to a recent post on The New York Times’ Green Inc. blog, a dog park in Ithaca, New York, is going green with the brown stuff. Patrons pick up after their pups with special corn-based bags and place the waste in bins near the park’s entrances. Once a week, a composting company takes the dog waste to a facility, where it’s piled with yard and wood waste in the hope of turning it into usable compost.

Pretty cool! Let’s hope this trend catches on across the country. Do you have a “green” way to deal with your dogs’ “doo”? Tell us in the comments!

Commenting is closed.
  • melissa medellin says:

there is a poop bag carry’s.it’s looks like a bone u hook it to your leashe the bone .you hook the poop bag to bone that hook to the leashe so your dog can carrie it it’s self.

• Su-Yin says:

i read somewhere that if you put dog poo as a compost, it kills all the worms since you worm your dogs.is this true????

• Polprav says:

Hello from Russia!
    Can I quote a post “No teme” in your blog with the link to you?

• Sophia says:

1:thats really gross & 2:how ru supposed to do that anyway???

• Theresa McKinley says:

I line my cat boxes with newspaper (about 2 sections) and then I tear and shred paper that I place on top of the newspaper that lines the cat boxes. My cats use it just like cat litter. When I bring in a new cat, I use cat litter (all the while lining the boxes with paper) and then slowly decrease the cat litter and increase the paper. I dispose of the cat feces in the toilet, flush with water that I have collected from my washing machine and then recycle the newspaper in cardboard boxes. I don’t believe that sterile urine will damage the recyclibilty of the paper.
    The paper is a little messy if you have a cat that is fairly exhuberant about covering his/her feces, but saving money on cat litter, and flushing the feces into the water system where it will be cleaned and returned as fresh water more than makes up for the little bit of paper that I pick up.

• Vic says:

Oh, and you can also buy natural and biodegradable cat litter, the one I use is wheat based. It’s a bit more expensive but I find it lasts a lot longer. I also use biodegradable bags when scooping out the litter. :)

• Vic says:

I live in the city and don’t have a garden, so composting isn’t really an option. However I buy packs of biodegradable plastic bags from the dollar store and use those. :)

• Wendy says:

You can also buy worm bins that are just for composting dog and cat poo. I also like the dog doolie idea, but you can basically make your own, look online on youtube for instructions. Then you just add some RidX (septic bacteria) every couple of weeks and your good to go

• JT says:

Most dog poop is meat-based and shouldn’t be used in compost for edible plants. Same with cat poop, which can have toxoplasmosis and is even worse as compost. Neither should ever be used near waterways.

• Jon says:

I run a dog rescue in Fargo, ND. We scoop it and bring it in to a toilet and flush. It gets processed with all the human waste. Out on a walk, we use flushable bags and then flush them upon our return. All our dog waste gets flushed. Nothing goes to the landfill or sits around stinking.

• BevE says:

I’d love to hear some suggestions for what to do with cat ‘poo’. We have three cats and I hate using so much cat litter and then just throwing everything into the trash. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks : D

• Alex says:

if i take my dog on a walk i will pick up after my dog and if i see other poop from another do then i will pick that up to. when my sister or i take my puppies on a walk we carry this pooper scooper along to pick up the poop.

• Mandee says:

I will put the ‘doo’ in dirt or other soil. It helps the planet, and my plants!

• Kimberly says:

I recently bought the Doggie Dooley System…. Its an all natural compost unit designed specifically for doggie doodie!.. I haven’t used it just yet, but plan to use it when I move to my house in December. It was fairly cheap too!

• april says:

i work at a store. when people bring in returns they want you to throw away the bag that they brought the returns in with. I would bring those home to use for my cats’ poop. at least reuse.

• Linda says:

I used to dig deep holes in my garden, mix it with dirt, and let it rot/compost until winter and then I’d rototill it all into the garden for the next year. I had zinnias about 5′-6′ tall, so it did wonders for my flowers!

• Julie says:

I compost all of our dog poop. I have 2 separate composters – 1 that we use on the vegetable gardens – that one doesn’t have poop put in it – and the other (that we compost the poop in)is used on the flower gardens.