No More Torment for Tripp

Written by PETA | September 18, 2009

The following is a guest post from PETA fieldworker Misty Collins.

This is the story of my friend Tripp. A sweet, gentle golden retriever, Tripp was easy to love, yet he spent most of his life feeling lonely, lacking the affection that he so desperately needed.

Banished to a junk-filled backyard, Tripp spent every moment of every day outside. At the age of 16, he had endured a lifetime of bitter winters and scorching summers. By the time we discovered him during one of our routine straw deliveries, years of lying on frozen ground had taken their toll, and he was stiff and arthritic. He was going deaf and blind, and his frail body was riddled with softball-sized tumors. His owners refused to relinquish him, so I returned again and again to check on him and give him clean bedding, treats, and, most importantly, the love and companionship that he so desperately desired.

Just a few weeks ago, I made my final visit to see Tripp. When I arrived, he was nowhere to be found. Trudging though the junk-filled yard, I climbed over scraps of splintering wood, rusty nails, jagged pieces of metal, and other dangerous debris. Following a trail of swarming flies and puddles of diarrhea, I found Tripp behind the garage—curled up and unresponsive.

Lying in garbage, Tripp’s tumors bulged on his emaciated frame.
Tripp

He went back there to be alone and die. Dogs do that. Can you imaging being deaf, blind, and covered in cancerous tumors and spending your last days in a trash pile surrounded by flies waiting for you to die? In tears, I begged his owners to let me take him and give him a dignified death. They finally relented, and I gently shook the old boy awake and helped him into my truck.

Back at PETA headquarters, I was determined to help my friend live the last day of his life as he should have been allowed to live every single day of his life—rolling in the fresh grass and receiving lots of love, attention, and belly rubs.

Tripp’s last day
Tripp

Barely able to stand, he ate his last meal. Later, I held him and stroked him gently as he quietly passed away. I was honored to be with him during his last moments in a world that had never loved him. And though he spent most of his life thrown away and forgotten in that miserable backyard, I will never forget Tripp as long as I live.

Written by Misty Collins

Comments

• Maggie Shayne says:

Can you explain why animal services was not contacted? I work for them in my state. If I’d found Tripp in my jurisdiction I would have given the owners 24 hours to get him seen and treated by a vet. If they failed to do so I would have seized Tripp from them and charged them with animal cruelty. Even if they did take him to a vet I’m sure the vet would’ve signed off saying he was severely neglected. Then I would’ve still seized Tripp if the owners hadn’t done the right thing and had him put to sleep and hit them with state charges. Please explain why this wasn’t done wthis poor dog. Are the laws in this particular state that bad??

• walter sibert 111 says:

RIP TRIPP so sorry no one loved you until the end. GOD bless you MISTY

• lulu says:

This made me cry so hard that I actually threw up. Bless sweet Trippand Misty who made sure that he was offered some kindness in his sickeningly cruel world.

• pomomarx says:

No that’s the point of the story. There are no laws that protect dogs like Tripp! Even what MistyPETA did they couldn’t have done without the owners’ permission.

• Celeste says:

Im glad you did what you did for tripp. Why didnt you get the aspca or peta involved to get him away from these abusers? There are state laws that protect little guys like tripp.

• Misty Collins says:

A lot of you have asked why Tripp’s ‘owners’ weren’t charged and why he wasn’t taken out of the situation sooner. Tripp was given food. He had water and and a crummy doghouse for shelter and he did see a vet who diagnosed him with cancer. All of these things are required by Virginia law. Sadly the law does not require someone to love their animal. Love attention scratches behind the ears throwing the tennis ball all of these are optional. Tripp’s ‘owners’ were an older couple. They were not malicious but were simply not informed on proper care for Tripp. I have their assurance that they will not acquire another animal. I hope this story made you hug your fuzzy friends a little tighter. Thanks for so many nice comments about this wonderful old guy.

• Some guy says:

“In tears I begged his owners to let me take him and give him a dignified death. They finally relented and I gently shook the old boy awake and helped him into my truck. Back at PETA headquarters I was determined to help my friend live the last day of his life as he should have been allowed to live every single day of his liferolling in the fresh grass and receiving lots of love attention and belly rubs. ” A dignified death would be to kill him quickly ending the pain.

• mary says:

a tragic storywhy did no one ever try to rescue this poor dog in so many years? very hard to believe

• catherine says:

saddest story everagain the question why was Tripp not rescued sooner and did Peta ever try to help him in all those years? where did this extreme cruelty occur

• June Marie says:

I read stories like this and my thoughts turn to screams “SOMEONE KNEW ABOUT HIS SITUATION! WHY AREN’T THE SONS OF BITCHES THAT BLATANTLY ABUSE TORMENT AND TORTURE ANIMALS PHOTOGRAPHED AND COPIES GIVEN TO ANY PAPER MAGAZINE OR ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUP? INSTEAD THESE “THINGS OF SATAN” HAVE THEIR IDENTITY PROTECTED? DID THEY GET ANOTHER “VICTIM” YET? TRIPP DIDN’T GET ANY PROTECTION FROM ANYONE! NOT REALLY. THE ONLY WAY TO PROTECT A VICTIM LIKE THAT IS TO RESCUE HIM! YET THOSE MISERABLE HATEFUL SOULLESS THINGS GET PROTECTED NO NAMES NO PICTURES” I USE CAPS WHEN THE WORDS COME FROM MY HEART AND SOUL OUT LIKE A SCREAM.

• Vicki says:

Someone might have said it I didn’t take the time to read all the responses but WHY was this dog not removed from this property. I’ve seen Animal cops on Animal Planet go in and remove dogs just like this and the ‘owners’ didn’t need to relinquish anything…..just sad.

• Michael Lane says:

Tripp’s owners should be ashamed of how they treated their dog. But those of you here who are wishing death and suffering for Tripp’s owners are no better than the people you condemn.

• msdarkling says:

Why was this not reported to the local animal welfare government agency so this case could be investigated and the animal confiscated if appropriate? I appreciate what was done for him in the end but a crueltyneglect complaint should have been filed on day one.

• erin says:

My heart is just broken from this. I’m glad that at the end Tripp knew he was loved. Dogs are such amazingly loving and forgiving creatures that I just know he could put it behind him and enjoy a last day that was out of the life he deserved. I am so thankful that people like Misty exist.

• Marilyn Glasgow says:

Oh you poor sweet precious soul. It took 16 years but you were loved at last. I’m crying so much I am feeling ill. Tell me are those excuses for humans being prosecuted for this? Where was everyone when he was suffering for his whole life? And the eternal question why do these cretins and scum have animals in the first place?

• Lynn Cirillo says:

Misty Tripp will not be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for his former owners he will wait for you. I cried for almost 2 days straight for that sweet dog. Thank you for making his last day enjoyable and to show him that somebody cared and loved him. You saved his soul.