Top Five Reasons Only Stupid Girls Brag About Eating Meat

Written by PETA | June 16, 2008

jessica-simpson-real-girls-eat-meat.jpgThe photo speaks for itself. OK, OK, I may have doctored it a bit to get the point across, but COME ON! As you can see, Jessica Simpson was recently caught wearing a “Real Girls Eat Meat” T-shirt. Puhleeze!

For a gal who’s best known for her less-than-stellar brains (Chicken of the Sea, anyone?) and her ability to proportionately fill out daisy dukes, I’m gonna go on record saying that if anyone had to wear a ridiculous shirt like this, I’m glad it was Jessica—as people are more likely to follow the opposite of her lead … ya know, since she’s so well respected and all (yes, that was difficult to type without tossing in a hefty LOL). Maybe the meat-eaters of the world will be embarrassed to be categorized in the same field as Jessica Simpson. Ecorazzi has more on the story.

Just for funsies, here are the top five reasons that only stupid girls brag about eating meat:

1. Meat increases the risk of breast cancer. A 2007 study of 35,000 women published in the British Journal of Cancer found that women who ate meat were far more likely to develop breast cancer than women who consumed none. Will Jessica’s next t-shirt will say, “Real Girls Smoke 3 Packs a Day”?2. Real girls don’t support animal abuse. Compassion is super sexy, if the huge number of hot celebs ditching meat is any indication. Young women turn vegetarian in droves when they learn that the meat industry cuts the sensitive beaks off newborn chicks and cuts off the tails of baby piglets.3. The meat industry is destroying the Earth. The only thing that’s hot about the meat industry is that it’s toasting the planet. According to the United Nations, raising animals for food causes more greenhouse-gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, SUVs, planes, and ships in the world combined. 4. Meat will make you fat. All the saturated fat and cholesterol in chicken wings, pork chops, and steak eventually leads to flabby thighs and love handles. I hope the upcoming “Jessica Simpson’s Intimates” line comes in plus sizes! Going vegetarian is the best way to get slim and stay that way. 5. Eating meat steals food from starving kids. Jessica’s trip to help kids in Africa got a lot of media buzz, but by gnawing on meat, she’s essentially stealing food from the mouths of starving children since it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian, we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world. —ChristinePosted by Christine Dore

Comments

• Erin says:

Let me start by saying I’m all for a cruelty free world. I love animals and do my best to buy organiccruelty free products. But is it right to be or act malicious towards humans who may not know how cruel eating andor wearing animal products are? Pass on your knowledge show them the facts. Give them a chance.

• Anonymous says:

It wouldn’t bother me if this comment made it to the page or not but someone at some point will read it. I suggest a class discussing rhetoric and writing. How to properly form arguments and make valid points without completely destroying your credibility. I am not a member of PETA I am a lover of red meat. I’m sure you’ve heard the arguments before but I believe our species was designed to be carnivorous. I’m not basing this on my opinion but I’m basing this argument on the geometry of our faces our teeth and other physical factors that place us in a long line of carnivorous creatures. Calling someone “stupid” in an article immediately destroys any credibility you had at one point. Making a credible argument requires civil conversation and valid points. Your points were well made and although your picking individual studies out of the thousands that have been done your point came across strong. Remove the picture and the word “stupid” and I might have taken what this article said seriously. Instead all you did was badger someone that I don’t really feel could or would defend themselves.

• Jami says:

Good for you PETA!! I saw that shirt yesterday on DListed and was mortified!! Thanks for setting some people straight. Eating meat isn’t cool in any possible way! I’m a real girl and I’d never eat meat! Even if she’s talking about her man it’s still a lame shirt.

• Meat Rocks says:

Meat is awesome and everyone should eat it! You go girl!!!!

• cam says:

i will gladly kill any animal to feed myself. its how nature works. you want to see gruesome watch a pack of hyenas tear apart a baby elephant. geez why didn’t someone tell them that they might get flabby thighs.

• RamaOtster says:

I didn’t take her shirt to mean that she supports eating meat. I took it more in the subtle sexual joke way which makes a reference to “man” meat. Don’t take everything so literally. I guess I should also say that I do eat meat and while I agree that the larger slaughter houses are horrible if you buy locally raised and butchered meats you are not only ensuring that the animals didn’t endure uneeded abuse but you are supporting your local farmers who also grow the grain that would feed the hungry as you say. All the meat I eat comes from my boyfriends parents farm and the cows are only butchered if they are violent towards the other cows or if they are no longer able to breed. Sadly I know not all of the calves are sold to equally kind farms but it’s a business just as much as anything else.

• jill says:

i think jessica’s shirt is referring to oral sex however… i didnt know eating meat had all of those effects! im not vegetarian but i may consider cutting back on my meat intake

• Luvallmeat says:

I really do not understand the big deal. real people do eat meat. it is the crazy people that want to banish it. and Tamara cruelty to animals my ass. How else are we supposed to eat them if they are not taken to the slaughterhouses?? Animals are on this planet along with all plants for us provided by God. If we don’t eat them that means we should also not eat plants. Hate me all you want but don’t assume people are going to stop eating meat something that goes back to the beginning of mankind anytime soon just because Jessica wears a tshirt. Give me a break. Half of the world doesn’t even know who she is or cares enough to monitor her daily outfits and then base their life on them. I heart all colors of meat! And am not a fat ass like the article claims.

• India says:

This is really stupid and I don’t agree with this. I’m only 14 and worry about my weight. I love to be treated to steak sometimes. Now since reading this it puts me off and I don’t like any other vegetable. Plus meat gives you good protein so I don’t know where the person that wrote this got the idea that eating meat makes you fat. This post is quite upsetting. Vegetarians look very ugly thin and their hair is wispy.

• Clint says:

Your knowledge of nutrition is fascinating. Please tell us more.

• Michelle says:

She’s not saying that she supports slaughterhouses…or that she wants to eat puppies for dinner. I agree with JM that she’s not afraid to be herself whether or not it’s a ditz in Hollywood. The more people berate her the more I like her. She seems like a normal person with highs and lows. Possibly one of those lows is wearing this shirt. Who cares? At least she’s real. Oh and p.s. I’ve seen plenty of fat vegetarians.

• DS says:

“4. Meat will make you fat.” Wow that’s some solid journalism…

• Gina says:

I didnt think she was capable of making herself look any less educated but she’s did it by wearing this shirt. Funny how she wants to make claims about being “real”…ok Jessica. So “real girls get fat injected in their lips” and “real girls fake tan until they’re orange”…the list could go on forever.

• M says:

meat in moderation is fine stop freaking out about it

• Kes says:

But meat tastes good.

• Sarah says:

Wow. I’m going to get anihilated for this but honestly… I eat meat. I’m thin I don’t exercise or diet to be so either. I have compassion love animals have own cows and participated in huntingit’s moreso how you decide to indulge then if you do or not I would say. Like it or not deer starve to death because corn wears out their teethI don’t know about you but I’d rather dead instantly than spend three weeks desperately searching for food but dying of starvation nonetheless. And I’m very sure of every process done to get the meat of my deerit’s nothing wasteful strictly for antlers or anything. And isn’t there a product called plopinut sp? to feed starving children? And Jessica Simpson eating meat isn’t going to kill all the babies in Africa. Guess what? Animals were here first not cars and trucks and such…so…if they want to greenhousegas their way to high heaven who are we to stop them being ‘compassionate’ to animals and such. I’m sorry. It’s just a throught.

• my two cents says:

it’s a vague tshirt. room for interpretation i know but maybe she only eats crueltyfree freerange all organic etc. etc. etc. meat. Or maybe not. but she’s also not proclaiming undying support for slaughterhouses either. What I don’t get is why so many people scream “DON’T SUPPORT CRUELTY” yet they refuse to support the few peopleorganizations putting in the effort to sell serve crueltyfree meat. Restaurants and stores are failing and closing down because the people are trying so hard to change for won’t support them. Instead of sitting here bashing a stupid celebrity over a tshirt why not use the mediafrenzied opportunity to do some good? SUPPORT CRUELTYFREE TOO

• carly says:

All of the strict vegetarians I’ve ever known have been at least 20 lbs overweight. I don’t think that eating meat will make you fat. Eating a lot of meat and not exercising will make you fat. So point number one is null and void.

• jamie says:

she likes the taste of death

• Rick says:

I understand the concerns of a celebrity advertising the consumption of meat and by the long long trail that ultimately if you eat meat you agree with animal cruelty. I don’t feel she is wearing the shirt because she hates animals or advocates their methodology for procuring such foods. A lot of people are ignorant when it comes to eating meat vs not. They don’t understand the health benefits the reasons why you would avoid eating meats. Instead it’s ‘I like meat it tastes good you’re dumb if you don’t eat it.’ One of my best friends eats fois gras. Do I call him out ridicule him or stop talking to him? No. He eats it because he likes it. He knows and disagrees with the preparation but if offered he will take it.

• stelise says:

Reason 5 really got to me. “…it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat. If more people went vegetarian we’d free up enough grain to feed every person in the world.” Honestly I’ve never thought about it that way. Thanks for the article now I’m even more inspired to go vegetarian! I’m not even gonna waste space to talk about Jessica Simpleton’s ‘Real Girls Eat Meat’ tshirt . . . When since are celebrities “Real” lol

• Katie says:

If she wants to wear that shirt she can.

• Girl says:

Oh no! Jessica Simpson is promoting eating meat! This is terrible! Everybody is going to listen to her and change their minds!

• Miley says:

Well only real cruel peopel eat meat!!!!!!! I geuss shes one.

• Ken says:

I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan and I want this bimbo away from Tony Romo. My wife tells me Tony has been flirting with an old flame Carrie Underwood who is a vegitarian recently. I hope he dumps her. There was always something about Jessica I didn’t like and never got how she was supposed to be sexy. Brains and compassion always win over stupidity and silicone for me.

• Angelique says:

Well Well Well….. Isnt this so typical of dumb celebrities these days I am not talking about Hayden Pannetiere or Milo Ventimeglia But people like Jessica Simpson.. I dont think that top should say real girls eat meat it should say only dumb and ignorant people eat meat!!!!

• jm says:

I commend Jessica for not kowtowing to what’s hip in Hollywood. Kudos for skipping the kabbalah bracelet too.

• Ben says:

You make some good points but I need to challenge you on a few of them as they’re dead wrong. Meat will not make you fat lifestyle choices will. One of those choices is to eat meat some others are eating less or doing exercise. As for stealing food from starving children…that’s so preposterous it’s not even funny. There is still the issue of getting the food to the people who are starving it’s not just a matter of growing it. Some good points all the others but less hyperbole and less fundamentalist views would be better reporting.

• pan says:

i don’t think she means that kind if meat….

• Jaimi says:

i think that is hilarious because of course im a vegetarian but also because just this morning i had to persuasive speech in english nd my topic was that animal cruelty should not be accepted even if it benefits mankind lmao i used to kinda think jess was alright but not anymore

• katie says:

she’s a total idiot. she thinks just because she’s from texas lots of BBQ there i guess? she can wear a shirt like that? sounds more to me someone’s dying for a little attention!

• Saucy says:

Beware of Wolves in Sheeps clothing. Only blood sucking vampires eat meat.

• Kayleigh says:

Umm this is very very stupid. She can wear what she wants and you don’t have to bash her for it. I’m not her fan or anyrhing I’m just outraged!

• rose says:

What does Jessica know about being a girl?

• Laura says:

Jessica is an idiot and this demonstrates it even more. Thankfully we have celebrities like Carrie Underwood who actually care about animals and have talent…

• lilmoomoo says:

Hmm as far as I know a lot of celebrities are quite healthy eating meat…but oh well.

• Anonymous says:

Once again she is using the media to gain attention for herself.The shirt can be viewed in a number of ways either a dig at Carrie Underwood or to exploit her sexuality. Either way she’s got everybody’s attention and can continue to be center of attention. She doesn’t care about cruelty to animals she only cares about herself.

• Aus Veg says:

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. I mean it’s enough to take a stab at your mans ex but to say that real girls eat meat?! What am I an Alien? If you really want to boost your fan base Jess and I like your music don’t get me wrong it’s only right to go veg!

• HannaBanana says:

Jessica is a dumbdumb….maybe that’s why she keeps getting dumped??? OUCH..haha

• silentsophi says:

I did not know meat did all of that! Geez.

• Kurt K says:

Nah she probably wouldn’t give a fuck like 99.9 of the world!

• Kristie says:

There are sooo many people that are just completely unaware of how cruel the farming industry is to animals. Someone should send her one of those videos of horror of slaughterhouses. I used to say veal shmeal and then I saw the truth of how awful it is to eat meat. And I love meat chicken eggs milkand cheese but I can’t support any action that causes harm to the most defenseless of us. I just can’t. Maybe if Jessica saw the truth she would also think differently.

• Tamara says:

Uh…assuming what I think of Jessica Simpson…what kind of meat does she mean? Really don’t want to get anymore graphic than that… snicker

• Ashley says:

She probably wore it referring to ahem the male anatomy since now that she’s been married it’s cool for her to brag about not being a virgin anymore rolls eyes Real girls think about the consequences of their actions. Maybe she should stop trying to be cool and start being compassionate

• Canaduck says:

I’d be angry at Jessica Simpson for wearing that shirt but I sort of doubt that she’s intelligent enough to even understand what it means. Poor thing.

• Carla says:

“Real beautiful people DON’T support crueltyJust say NO to meat”

• r says:

If you look all around you young girls and guys are out of shape. they look older than their actual age and well dont exactly appear healthy. Maybe they need to change their diets and save an animals lifeThey are after all the future generation that can and should make a difference since the older generation have not really tried in a long time…

• Mary says:

Nice one Jessica. Funnily enough last night this silly girl was on tv in Ireland and it seems to physically hurt her to have to talk and think at the same time. What a great slogan. “Eat meat and you too could have a brain like Jessica” Yet another great advert for becoming a vegetarian. Thanks Jessica.

• gemmac says:

‘real girls eat meat’?.. uhrm.. whose meat exactly?.. someone should tell this person to sit through a 1 hr slaughter house video .. that relentlessly shows all the cutting. bellowing struggling bleeding.. gasping.. fear and horror in the animals eyes as they go to meet their horrific deaths.. and see how she feels afterwards.. still feel like lots and lots of meat? huh?.. I’m not a super vegetarian myself.. but I’m certainly no avid or regular meat eater either.. frankly the less the better.. and often I opt for veg options.. good for me.. the planet and I would be MORE than happy to see the end of factory farming.. and everyone going veggie failing that.. at least semiveg..

• Maya, CVT says:

You’re so right compassion is sexy because it shows intelligence and it’s a reflection of the age of Enlightenment. Wish our society thought about that age more often.