Tobey Maguire Wants Schools to Go Vegetarian

Written by PETA | July 31, 2009
movies.yahoo / CC
Tobey Maguire

I am deeply concerned that unhealthy school lunches are contributing to our nation’s childhood obesity epidemic. School is tough enough already—schools shouldn’t have to put up with lunches swimming in fat and cholesterol. It’s time for healthier options.

—Tobey Maguire

The Spider-Man star has teamed up with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine to encourage public schools to escape the unhealthy web (yeah, I went there) of greasy cafeteria fare and offer healthy vegetarian options. He also says that as a father, “[T]his issue is tremendously important …”

If only all dads were that fly. (All right, I’m done. Promise.)

Written by Shawna Flavell

Comments

• Michele says:

Rojo UM did you read the post correctly? Um did you read the link to his letter? Um I guess not because then you would never have questioned where he talked about going veg.

• Matt Greenwood says:

Well done Tobey! Your suggestion is brilliant hopefully the schools will take notice adopt Mr. Maguire’s suggestion.

• Cathy says:

I couldn’t agree more. However I think it’s important that until cafeteria food improves parents should instill in their children the benefits of a homepacked lunch. From the time my girls were little I packed their vegetarian lunches everyday and we discussed the junk served in the school cafeteria. It didn’t take long and my girls were no longer interested in the food served at the school. They are healthy happy vegetarians today. Sometimes parents have to take the initiative.

• rojo says:

um where did toby say anything about vegetarian. Absolutely agree with curbing greasy meals for kids!

• Brien Comerford says:

If every person in the United States was a vegan we could reduce cruelty global warming deforestation water crises air water and land pollution and famine

• Andrea Alarcon says:

As a student going into high school I agree with healthier food for the cafetaria. As a vegan myself I want to be able to know every morning that I don’t have to worry about bring my own lunch because mostly school lunches are fatening and have meat. Toby is right schools should go vegan healthy it is the right thing to do.

• jennifer gordon says:

I completely agree with Mr. Maguire. I work for the child nutrition program in Minnesota. With all the budget cuts of the school districts the children are lucky to get free lunches when needed much less healthier meals. Yet Minnesota is getting a new sports metrodome while teachers remain underpaid schools are understaffed and food programs continue to suffer. I have been a Vegan for over a year and I am saddened when my daughter cant eat the food I prepare at school

• Courtney C says:

Toby rocks!It’s awesome that he wants todays kids eating healthier at school.He is such a good dad!

• lauren Kelly says:

That’s great! As a mommy to be I am hoping my child will have vegetarian options in the cafeteria. If not I will gladly pack a lunch every day!