NFL Has Sacked Vick

Written by PETA | August 24, 2007

Great news! The NFL has finally suspended Michael Vick indefinitely. This is following his own admission of guilt when he entered his plea today. Now urge the NFL to add cruelty to animals—in all its forms—to its personal conduct policy. We need them to hear from as many people as possible!You know, this just really makes me very happy. I’m happy because I know that this country doesn’t like dogfighting, and dogfighters had better hear that message and get out of the business. Since the Vick case ripped the lid off dogfighting, law enforcement and PETA are getting tips and leads on other cases across the country. PETA is even offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone involved in dogfighting, and we are already working with law enforcement in a number of different jurisdictions.

Comments

• Amy says:

I am a big fan of PETA and all the efforts put into animal rights. I have worked with Stephanie out of your WA location on a animal cruelty case. She was fantastic. It has been my experience in my own town of Indianapolis that dog fighting is on the rise. Particularlly with todays youth. Many of these kids are violent and do not hide their participation. Their needs to be tougher laws and follow thru on the parts of the courts. Not only jail but hit them in their pocket books they will feel that for sure. It is most important that we hold celebrities responsible chldren are little sponges. We as a society have a diposable additude anything and everything even animals..

• lil p says:

I think if vick knew that this was going to cause so much of trouble he wouldnt of been in that mess. no it dont matter what color he is but understanding that vick has said his part and i think that if he can get up on tv and express his feelings and tell everyone that he hurt and all of tha kids that he is sorry then everyone should be able to feel where he is coming from and fogive him.

• Cindy in NJ says:

Why do all of the black people in America now make this a racist issue? He is a disgusting human being just like O.J. Simpson was. Who cares if they are black? Who cares if they are white? Who cares if they are Asian? Who cares? What matters is their actions. Stop making everything a race issue Kari if a person does something wrong he shouldn’t fall back on hisher race.

• Chancey says:

Maya I just had to respond back to you. You are someone that I can sit down and talk to and you are absolutely right. There is room for human and animal compassion. I have posted on several blogs and I am researching PETA and considering joining because of folks like you and Mike Quinoa did I spell that right?. I am flawed and I lack remorse for the past but at no time have I ever advocated abuse of any kind. I am intrigued as to how PETA members came to embrace this mission. I must find out how people came to the conclusion that no animal should be used for food. I am sold on the fact that vegetable farms could feed the world’s population but if animals were allowed to roam and multiply where would their fate lie? The human world and infrastructure grows larger while animal habitats dwindle. How would we accomodate the influx of overpopulated animal communities? These are questions I have to find out but for now I know that there are people with evil inentions toward animals and mankind in general.

• Linda says:

Hey everyone I have a great idea!!!! How about ACCOUNTABILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS! OUR LAWS ARE IN PLACE FOR A REASON! OH AND BY THE WAY AT WHAT POINT DID THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DEFENDING VICK FORGET WHAT HE DID WAS AGAINST THE LAW!!!! LIKE ME I GOT A SPEEDING TICKET LAST WEEK BECAUSE IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT! SHOULD I GET OFF BECAUSE I AM A 33 YR. OLD DIABETIC WITHOUT CHILDREN LIVING IN KANSAS ESTRANGED FROM MY ABUSIVE FATHERAND COLOR BLIND? EXACTLY MY POINT I AM TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FROM MY DECISION BETWEEN WHAT I KNOW IS RIGHT OR WRONG CONCERNING THE LAWS OF MY GOVERENMENT WETHER I LIKE IT OR NOT! VICK IS NO MORE SPECIAL THAN ME WHEN IT COMES TO PUNISHMENT FOR HIS CRIMES!

• Sally says:

It justs disgusts me the torture people like Vick put these animals through. They are living creatures just like us and have a right to life. It is clearly obvious to me that there is some kind of imbalance going on through their heads. People like him need more than prison time they need psychological diagnosis.

• SATINKA says:

“THE ANIMALS OF THE WORLD EXIST FOR THEIR OWN REASONS. THEY WERE NOT MADE FOR HUMANS ANY MORE THAN BLACK PEOPLE WERE MADE FOR WHITES OR WOMEN FOR MEN”ALICE WALKER black woman novelist and author of The Color Purple.

• Vivian Cockerham says:

I know that Micheal Vicks made a mistake. He asked for forgiveness. Who are we that we can’t forgive? God forgave us. You must not read your Bible or believe in God?You have no right to condemed a person. God is the only one without SIN.

• SATINKA says:

everybody who is trying to make MV heinous killing a racial issue “THE ANIMALS OF THE WORLD EXIST FOR THEIR OWN REASONS. THEY WERE NOT MADE FOR HUMANS ANY MORE THAN BLACK PEOPLE WERE MADE FOR WHITES OR WOMEN FOR MEN”ALICE WALKER black woman novelist and author of The Color Purple AGAIN MV IS A SICK PERSON PEOPLE NORMALLY DO NOT ACT OUT LIKE THAT UNLESS THERE IS SOME DEEP PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM WITH THEM. TYRING TO DEFEND THEM UNDER THE GUISE OF RACISM IS A PRETTY PATHETIC ARGUMENT INFACT IT ISN’T EVEN AN ARGUMENT SO MUCH AS AN IGNORANT OPINION. HOLDING MV ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS IS THE RIGHT THING NOT A RACIAL THING. WE ALL SHOULD PUT THE PRESSURE ON ANY SORT OF “ANIMAL SPORT” AND YES ABSOLUTELY THAT INCLUDES HUNTING. PARTICIPATING IN THESE DESPICABLE KILLING OF ANIMALS IN THE NAME OF “TRADITION” AND “CULTURE” AND ANY OTHER EXCUSE TO SHOOT HANG KILL OR MAIM SHOULD NO LONGER BE TOLERATED PERIOD. NO EXCUSES 0 TOLERANCE. GO VEGAN!

• yvonne says:

For those of you who contest the Michael Vick case is Racial you r wrong. I dont care what color our skin is I care about the character and morals people have. We need more Good people in the world and not killers who enjoy innocent dogs to fight.

• Kim Langlois says:

Just to clarify for some because I keep seeing this written. Dog fighting was NOT started by “black culture”. It was a “good ol’ boys” WHITE sport for decades and has continued along the same lines in the South at least. Hip hop culture just glorified it with their rap lyrics and the “tough guy” persona. That is one of the main reasons I fail to see how this is about race. LOTS of white men go to jail in the South for this when they can catch them. Dog fighting is a very well kept secret to most who are serious about it as proven by those who didn’t seem to know it existed before Vick. The reason the rest of the country doesn’t hear when PETA or other groups manage to infiltrate and stop dog fighting rings is because the people aren’t famous….not because it doesn’t happen. Face it would those of you defending Vick care to hear about my neighbor in Baton Rouge white John Doe getting busted? Nope…fame gets the attention….famous people are NOT like everybody else. They are living under a microscope and should be smart enough to keep it clean. If they aren’t that smart It’s not rocket science then they are probably too stupid to be famous.

• digusted says:

I am deeply saddened to know that sick people get enjoyment out of animal fighting. It’s people like Vick that are helping to confirm the ban on “dangerous breeds”. Pets are like kids they are what YOU make them. Love them and care for them and you will have a rewarding relationship. Feed them gun powder starve them beat them shock them or drowned them you will have hostility. It’s a shame that the NFL and the Falcons have this bad apple to bring down a lot of fans spirits. What about the kids that look up to him? Would you let your kids do this in your basement? As far as I’m concerned he is no better than O.J. SICK

• Anonymous says:

Maybe we should be more concerned about humans than animalsconsequently the people in New Orleans are being treated worst than the dogs. Let’s put our focus on the starving hungry dying people of the country. And not try to justify taking a man’s life completely away from him.This country lets rapist and child killers off with a slap to the wrist. PETA has basically lynched a man about a dog.

• Patrice Hightower says:

I think Michael Vick made a mistake but should not be condemed for his mistake like others are trying to send him to Hell. Did the people that hung dragged or beat african americans in slavery get condemed to HELL and they did all of that to Humans while others sat back and watched and laughed. This behavior is a sign of the end of times where people are condeming people to Hell and want to see horrible things happen to a man. I own animals and love them but if I had to choose my pet or my son I think the dog will have to go. As an American I choose to see this man pay his fine to Animal programs and maybe do community service to a animal hospital or clinic for years but to see him loose everything I feel is unfair when priest abuse kids get less time.

• SATINKA says:

troy I’d pick my pets over some people vick dahmer richard ramirez people who hunt for sport… In a heart beat. And to all of those sob stories of “poor vick” “it’s a racist outcome” “it’s a culture thing”…. Your an embarrassment and an insult to the black american community. Don’t defend and make an argument on MV behalf under the guise of racism we all KNOW racism exist but racism has nothing to do with MV sick and heinous actions. Anyone who is defending him because of the color of his skin regardless of how he trained and tortured these dogs has to question their own psyche. There is NO EXCUSE PERIOD. Now if we can only go after hunting for sport. GO VEGAN!

• Bonnie Hinds says:

One response was in reference to fighting animals was tantamount to boxing two people getting in the ring to fightthey are not trying to kill each other football is also a violent game. I don’t understand your point on letting Vick continue playing… the difference is boxing and football and played by human beings who can speak and make decisions for themselves. Innocent dogs are used as bait to teach the fighters to practice and improve. The losers are killed in horrible ways. In Tennesee there is a dogfighting ring. The dead dogs are killed and gotten rid of by neighborhood ‘kids’ sending the message that it is okay. There is not one thing that is all right about this. Knowing that there are actually people who don’t think he’s done anything wrong and should keep his job just scares me. I think he should be made to understand what he’s doing. If he looses a fight drown him not to death just til he understands or stick a rod up his backside and electricute him not to death just til he get the point of what he’s doing to something that was born to be loved and learned to hurt and be hurt. Maybe just stick him in a cage with no food or water until his bones are showing. Understanding is learned by experienceand what goes around comes around. What you reap you sow. I wish that legislation would consider animals living beings that live and feel and grieve. If this behavior happened to children who have no voice for themselves either ‘children should be seen but not heard’ cliche’ what do you think would happen to the person who treated a child or another adult in this manner? I’m sorry I think the NFL is trying to wait it out until they think everyone will settle down or until something more important gets our attention then they’ll let him in. It truly is amazing what is overlooked when money is involved. Put these people who come to see this show one at a time get into the ring with the animaljust for a few minutes of getting their flesh ripped off… it wouldn’t be so much fun. And if they survived it wouldn’t be funny paying the doctor bills because after all they are humansthe dogs just get killed because if they don’t win they’re losers. Great message to send our future children don’t you think.

• Troy J. says:

I’ve read alot of the comments on this blog and just have to say is this all that matters? Vick probably had more to do with this than he admits but when it comes down to it the man is getting more time in jail than people convicted of much worse crimes he is also going to lose his only means of making a living let’s face it football is about all he is good at and some of you think he should be banned for life andor spend longer in jail. The NFL should have nothing to do with this PERIOD. When Pete Rose was banned from baseball it was for actions that hurt that sport. What Vick did makes him look bad not the NFL. Besides like one of the other people said animals are important but it’s not like he killed a person.

• Maya says:

Chancey sorry I missed your very first general response Listen I grew up in a VERY rural area and I too was chased by dogs and witnessed wild animals tortured and killed by the “Good Ol’ Boy” culture. I hate to say Rednecks but I was surrounded by them. I know just what you mean. But this is 2007. Things are scarier in some ways but more tame in other ways. I agree wholeheartedly that PETA focused too much on this issue. But I can assure you they are not a racist group of folks. I’ve emailed them and they are great but their press staff are just a bit nutty when it comes to celeb culture. This was a big story and they went crazy with it. They love big stories. The bigger the better more donations more attention more protesting. They’re pretty over the top in that way! But they’re not racist. You should look at PETAs FaQs. In it they make it perfectly clear that they have no objection to tribal groups killing animals for food. I think this just goes to show that it’s the EXCESSES the unnecessary suffering that they object to NOT the things people do simply to survive.

• Maya says:

Chancey It is clear to me that you are a very compassionate and wellspoken person. There is absolutely no reason why caring for humans and caring for animals has to be mutually exclusive. When humane groups for animals work in tandem with human rights groups the result is always better than when they work alone. Peace and many blessings.

• observer says:

glenda yes these comments from the antis are scary!!!! in comparison the horrible news broadcasted on tv is actually limited to the way so many more people really think on here using “think” loosely. just when I think I read it all more totally insane comments come from the antis. I can’t believe that someone said on here dogfighting is the reason why God gave dogs teeth and vick was doing God’s will!!!! I want them to know that these types of insane comments are why I’m an animal activists who values animals over most people!!! I fear for the animals!!! luckily animal activists comments support sanity on this website!!!

• r.van says:

it’s no just vicks sports have been done for a long timefake and phonyto much money everything is moneythey should put a cap on salary 250.000there is still a lot of kids who just want to play the game.no player is worth a million dollars to play any sport.there is hundreds of micheal vicksMcGuiresbarry bondsto me no body beat ruths record do it in the same amount of gamesback to vicks i hope the judge burry’s him.they didn’t give imus a second chancenappy head we had a italian kid that hung out with us we called him nappy headgrow upit’s just wordsvicks should sleep with the fishgood night

• 007 says:

Chancey your illinformed mindless rhetoric depicting a shallow arrogant perspective re mVick and wrongful assessment of PETA which btw is merely your own and that of the IMMORAL MINORITY… and your feeble attempt to discredit their honorable mandate to campaign on behalf of defenseless animals clearly shows you have NO real understanding of what they’re about or what you are talking about throughout your unconvincing post. btw that cutesy remark about sleeping with mVick? scuse’ me while I puke along with others with any selfrespect shred of decency and a brain! DO speak for yourself… and spare us all the tired wornout bs re the black card. get over it! due process is at work. live with it!

• raven says:

Yeah for now. Let’s see if the nfl is really seriousban for life. Anything less is condoning vick’s slaughterings.

• Donna says:

To Veronica You are aware that the NFL has rules of conduct right? I don’t know about you but I don’t really enjoy watching convicted felons playing sportsespecially when they show sociopathic tendencies. Mike Vick belongs in prison not on a football field. He had everything and was so stupid and careless and without conscience that he threw it all out the window. He doesn’t deserve the notoriety of being an athlete.Now he’s sorry? Now he found Jesus? Get a life. He should try Hollywood next since he obviously is testing his acting abilities out on the country.

• djroddaboss says:

we all do things wrong so just leave the man along people always in other people mess but they own

• Ana says:

Glenda You put into words exactly my thoughts and very eloquently I must say. Thank you. Tonio Comparing your ridiculous comment to Glenda’s or any other intelligent proanimal comment would be a sheer insult. Thanks for the comment it made me laugh! You are who Glenda and I describe in our comments. You are depraved and scary. Adding your thoughts about the bible just adds that flavor of hypocrisy that makes it even more ludicrous. Are the words in your comment the words you use when you pray when you read the bible? Interesting. Guess what God made the animals first and He said it was “good”. You and others of your ilk need help and it is such a shame that evil hateful people like you proliferate in this world. Animal advocates seek justice and peace for the animals while you and your ilk seek revenge and spew hatred. Thank you to all animal advocates who take the time and energy to help so many wondeful creatures in need.

• willetta says:

vick should never be alowed to play football ever again…AND he should get the MAX ..but we all know thats going to happen because that is how the human race is there is NO PROTECTION FOR THE HELPLESS. The ANIMALS have as much right if not more than the humans to live on this Planet ..THEY WERE HERE LONG BEFORE PEOPLE WERE.

• observer says:

PSYCHO VICK SUPPORTERS SEWER WATER SEEKS ITS OWN LEVEL!!!! you stink. you’re full of crap. you’re a waste!!!! LOL!!!! WOULD VICK EVER DEFEND YOU DUMB JERKS???? HELL NO!!!! he would be busy doing more important things to him like torturing drowning and electrocuting dogs!!!! and how come your precious vick wasn’t out there supporting childrens rights helping to stop the war and all the rest of that bullshit you sling around????

• 007 says:

TONIO TONIO TONIO… whoa! Can ya’ be a little more vague? IF you are even remotely sincere in your quest for answers you might try asking more intelliGIBLE questions and stop making such preposterous distinctions!

• 007 says:

ATLDAWG I don’t get it why YOU’re so interested in and critical of what animal activists do and why you’re even here on PETA’s site if you are not interested in learning somwthing from the many intelligent informative explanatory posts and articles available on it? are you lonely or just trolling?

• Anonymous says:

MIKE VICK DIDNT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE JUST PLED GULTIY SO HE WOULDNT HAVE 2 GO 2 JAIL 4 A LONG TIME

• chendri says:

Big deal there animals its not like he killed a human being if people took as much interest in human life as they do for animal life this world might be a better place. I think to much attention has gone to this. It’s ridiculus!1

• Susannah Sulzman says:

For all of you who are defending Michael Vick I have a few questions for you Do you really think that the brutal way in which these dogs were treated can be excused by calling it “cultural”? Do you honestly believe that this is a racial issue? Would you want YOUR kids to emulate Michael Vick’s behavior? If you answered yes to any or all of the above let me just ask one further question WHY? I think it’s an insult to any thinking feeling human being to label such demented sadistic behavior “cultural”. Drug culture is NOT “culture” but an abomination against our children one that will ultimately destroy human lives either by killing the person or causing himher to be sent to prison and one that is ALSO closely associated with dogfighting. Criminal sensibilties are NOT “culture.” The very word “culture” implies civilty kindness and compassion and much of human society is sadly lacking in it to be sure. Yes there is still far too much racism in America. Yes a black man who commits a crime DOES usually get more notice than the same crime committed by a white man. Yes the criminal justice system is often NOT colorblind. BUT It is also true that Michael Vick is a grown man. No matter how he was raised or what gangsta “culture” he was subscribing to he is still responsible for his actions now. He is also responsible for the kind of message he sends to his young fans who emulate him. Aside from the illegality and brutality of dogfighting Michael Vick and his friends abused and tortured dogs to death in a prolonged and dreadful way BECAUSE they would not fight. That’s NOT a racial issue. That is a fact and one to which he has now admitted. Is this the guy you’d like YOUR kids to follow? Forgiveness is divine and every person deserves a chance to redeem himherself but Michael Vick still has to answer for what he did to the dogs that were totally dependent upon him for their care and wellbeing. You can call it whatever you want but don’t call it “culture.” The fact is that it’s a legal and moral imperative to care for the animals in one’s care and one that he egregiously failed. His actions were unconscionable and about as far removed from culture as it gets.

• rev nathan says:

lol “angry glenda” i never heard any1 use the Fbomb AND read the bible in the sentence ….good job 2 peta all animal lovers!!!

• Justin Wilson says:

indefinitely simply means until they decide otherwise. He needs to be banned for good.

• natasha says:

WOOHOO!!!! great news!.. well it may be just a day in jail but it raised awarness worldwide i mean did u see the media coverage?? pretty dang good! lol well it’s a small step but in the same sense a huge leap for dogs!

• Veronica Phillips says:

would people be so excited about what the nfl is doing if it were children involved instead of dogs? it seems that dogs have more rights than children these days in the law. i agree that if a law is broken there should be legal punishment..the end not career ending bullcrap by the public

• Anonymous says:

yo yo yo..this is weston up in hurr…i love vick!!yay!

• Hollywood says:

Vick is a SAVAGE for what he has done. I am sure that there are others out there that do what this SAVAGE has done. But guess what?? Vick got busted. His boys turned him in to spare their own necks..So much for being tight with his peeps. What type of person can kill an innocent creature and not even bat an eye about. I know a SAVAGE….thats who!! All becuase of money! Like Vick doesnt have enough of that!! But wait lets breed dogs to kill each other so I can make more money. What a frigin loser. I’d like to put Vick in a room with 10 of the pitbulls that he raised for foghtinand see what becomes of him. I hope he rots in jail for however long of a sentence that the judge imposes. Hopefully the NFL will wake up and give him a lifetime ban when all is said and done. And for all of you NAACP whom think that this is a lynching against “africanamericans” try again…If this was a caucasian whom commited this guess what?? Al Sharpton wouldnt be marching in the streets for him!!! It doesnt matter what race color or creed you are. This is a heinous act and you have to be subhuman to subject yourself and the innocent animals to this type of torture!! Rot in prison Vick your nothing but a SAVAGE coward along with your SAVAGE partners in crime. These poor animals had no choice in what they were doing…the choice they were given was that by Vick and his SAVAGE partners. If I said it once I will say it again you are a SAVAGE Vick and may God as you said you have found in your speech today have no mercy on you….Oh and by the way isnt it funny how when one of these SAVAGES get into trouble with the law they immediately find Jesus!!?? Vick probably couldnt find a frigin chuch if he put it into Mapquest!! What a frigin joke……May those poor animals rest in peace never to suffer again…..

• tonio says:

YOU ALL ARE A PILE FULL OF SHIT WAITING TO BE SAT ON AND THROWN AWAY…WAS YOU ALL CHEERING WHEN ALL THE ANIMALS WAS BEING KILLED IN NEW ORLEANS????HELL NOWAS YOU ALL ARGUING ABOUT CHICKEN FIGHTS IN LOWER STATES???HELL NO!! WAS YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT CRACKER ASS WHITE PEOPLE GAMBLING ON HORSE RACING???? HELL NO….SO WHY IN THE HELL YOU ALL WANT TO PUT MICHEAL VICK’S CAREER IN A PAN HANDLE…BUT YOU KNOW WHAT??? YOU ARE NOT GODAND YOU CANNOT JUDGE ANOTHER MAN…DID YOU CREATE EARTH?? HELL NO!!! SO WHAT GIVE YOU ALL PETA DICK SUCKIN’ MOTHERFUCKAZ THE RIGHT TO JUDGE A MAN..AND SAY “GO TO HELL” AND YOU NEED TO READ THE BIBLE BC THATS A SIN TO TELL ANOTHER ‘HUMAN BEING THAT’…BUT FUCK PETA FUCK YOU ALL WHO PUT HIS CAREER TO A CRACK HOLE AND FUCK YOU ALL BC HE’S PAID….BROKE MOTHERFUCKAZ..!!!!!!!FUCK YOU…PAY ME!!!

• Glenda says:

It’s scary reading some of these postings because many of the comments are indicative of how depraved and twisted this society has become. It’s very sad to think that we continue to sink to a new lower level and that any human being could be so cruel to a helpless animal. Whether that human is man or woman black or white young or old celebrity or common man rich or poor it doesn’t matter. It’s just very wrong. In a sense the details of the Vick story can serve us as a test of our depravity because if one can read it without absolute revulsion then he or she can consider himself part of some subspecies with no heart and probably no soul. As for me I don’t want to talk with sit with work with break bread with live with or otherwise breath the same air with anyone who can possibly approve of such a despicable act.

• Anonymous says:

When I heard about this man Vick torturing and fighting dogs I had no idea who he was. Immedietly I branded him a prick and he should pay for his crimes. I don’t like football…I never knew who he was. I don’t care if he is black white whatever…he is a sociopathic killer who needs to pay. Now I’m hearing all this African American cultural dog fighting bull shit. Culture? You’ve got to be kidding me. When I read some of your posts…well some of you people made me sick. Sticking up for a murderer and calling it racial? Kelly…ATL..you are both to stupid to even comment about. This is a PETA website. We care for animals and try to protect them. If you don’t like it go somewhere else and talk your bullshit none of us care. And Ron go back to first grade learn to spell you moron. I hope you get put in prison as well. Sounds like thats the only place for you.

• Chancey says:

Maya to answer your question about the dogs and cats being euthanized I have seen too many deaths to be moved. It’s sad but there are people like me that there is no shock value left. I am trying to be honest. I grew up where you could hear animals squealing in slaughterhouses day and night. I live in the Northeastern United States now where human atrocities once shocked me but no longer do. After years of hearing of newborn babies found in dumpsters in the dead of winter and other gruesome murders and watching this Chris Hanson guy on Dateline NBC continually expose the scum of the earth I have chosen to help the human cause. I mostly ignore the news because it’s too depressing. I like to dwell on happy things. As much as my wife’s cats pee and dodo in the house they are adorable. I can’t help but to like them. I completely respect your committment to PETA so go down to New Orleans and save an alligator!

• JHONNY KNOCKENS says:

YOU GUYS NEED TOP PROSECUTE DEER HUNTERS AND FISHERMAN ALSO!!!!!

• Chancey says:

To the folks who responded to my posting… I’m glad that I have parked such passion in you. I grew up on a farm with hundreds of hogs chickens geese cattle and other animals. Slaughter was an everyday event without incident in my first 20 years of life and animals are not slaughtered in a humane manner either. I have seen the killing of thousands of animals. It is not uncommon for the average person raised on a farm male or female to accept this reality. I know this may upset some PETA folks. As a child I had my heart broken many times by the death of a favorite chicken or hog to become someone’s dinner. In the world of farming you become numb to it suffer an emotional breakdown or get out of it. I no longer farm. Maya I worked for the Salvation Army running a homeless feeding program for 11 years so I applaud your commitment to the homeless. I don’t give them money but I will gladly give them food. Ana at no time have I said that Vick is innocent or a victim and the “race card nauseum’ as you call it is in your face. By the way check your facts. Black pregnancies across the board have dropped 40 between 1990 to 2002. Your statement smacks of racist overtones. What’s your point? My point is that others get continue away with it. Where is your anger for those other animal abusers? For you anonymous have some courage and post your name. I mentioned that the NCAAP picks and chooses its battles like PETA but your head must have been up in the clouds. There is a huge generation gap between the affluent members of the NCAAP and the struggling young black people out there trying to make their way. My brother once approached the NCAAP about an incident that happened to him at his job and they turned him down cold. Maya you are interesting. I have been around animals all my life have had many dogs and cats heck my wife has seven cats right now. To answer your question of course I have never taken part in a dog drowning or electrocution. But growing up in the South I have seen sheriff department deputies use dogs to hunt men down like a meal. I have seen people sic dogs on others. Oh another common practice in the South is to abandon dogs on someone else’s property. You are walking on your own land when suddenly some dog is chasing you. I had to get in the habit of carrying meat with me to distract them. I don’t blame the dogs abandoned by some irresponsible person. I have seen many animal atrocities. During hunting season in the south where I grew up people have no regard for private property when they are searching for the “perfect buck”. You had best stay indoors because hunters will shoot at anything that moves. I can’t tell you how many deer carcasses I have come across with the antlers and hooves removed but the flesh left for the maggots. I have seen cruelty. Another trick hunters employ is to spotlight deer which freezes them in their tracks. This particular practice is illegal and people do go to jail for it but many still take a risk and do it. I personally have never hunted animals and although I do fish I end up tossing most back. I eat beef chicken and fish I am an animal lover and I am perfectly comfortable with that hypocrisy. For PETA members from other races other than white people make yourselves visible! I personally do not know one person or ever encountered anybody who is in PETA. I’m just telling you what the perception is. Don’t kill the messenger. Listen if you believe race isn’t a factor here check out some of the sports blogs. There are people making death threats against this man. The comments here are tame by comparison. People are using the Vick case as an excuse to engage in lawless reckless behavior. They think that they can post anonymous hate comments and get away with it. Please show me where that kind of anger is reserved for other people on PETA’s list of animal abusers. Fair is fair treat them all like Vick is being treated. I don’t see anything of this magnitude directed at anyone else even other black offenders. Nobody cares about the other defendants in the Vick case in fact I can’t even name them.

• Kerry H says:

So Vick says he is sorry…Did anyone noticed that he called his actions immature?? Not cruel and evil..but immature.. When I was an immature teen I never tortured animals.. THis guy is unbelieveable.. Not once did he apologize for torturing and killing these poor dogs..not once.. He is a cruel joke.. He only cares about himself..

• c.j. says:

TO ATL DAWG COULD YOU GIVE ME THE NAME OF YOUR DR. OR DEALER I WANT TO KNOW WHAT MEDS YOUR TAKING THAT’S MAKING YOU SO DELUSIONAL.

• Susannah says:

P.S. to Chancey How I wish that sharp articulate mind was on OUR side! I have some questions for you Do you honestly think that MOST AfricanAmericans support dogfighting as a “cultural” thing? Do you honestly believe that the furor over Michael Vick’s conviction is because he’s a black man? I grant you racism is still a huge issue in our society and it’s true that more fuss is made when a black person is responsible for a crime than when a white one is. I have watched the slaps on the wrist for Paris Nicole and Mel Gibson with well nausea at best. But can you concede that what Michael Vick has done is a crime that no matter HOW he himself was raised and what cultural proclivities he inherited HE is still responsible for what he does? He’s a grown man Chancey. Does he truly represent what you’d like YOUR kids to emulate? As for us PETA types not caring about people it IS apples and oranges to accuse us of that. There is NOTHING contradictory about caring about people AND animals. In fact true compassion for animals can only increase compassion for people too. But no matter how much PETA and its membership may or may not care about people that isn’t the issue when we talk about Michael Vick and his activities down there in Virginia. Nor is the issue about blackness or how Michael Vick was raised. The issue is about what Michael Vick DID and because he IS a celebrity what kind of impact his role modeling could potentially have for the young people who follow him. The same could be said of any number of “celebrities” yes but they weren’t drowning dogs hanging dogs from trees and setting them up in rape stands just for the hell of it. No matter how you want to cut it that’s a disgusting brutal and totally reprehensible crime and nothing can defend it. Nothing.

• observer says:

YOU IGNORAMUSES NEED TO GET NORMAL LIKE US ANIMAL ACTIVISTS!!! do you actually believe your stupid comments???? are you really that stupid??? no wonder this world is a freakin mess!!! too many of you brainless worthless stupid asses!!!!

• observer says:

alt dawg 10 people at a circus protest??? with all your stupid comments sounds like that’s the highest you can count!!! some help for you to learn to count higher!!! after counting to 10 on your fingers count your toes from 11 to 20. pull down your zipper and that will make 21!!! naaawww cancel the zipper part. you’ll still be at 20!!! LOL