Minks Set Free From Fur Farm

Written by PETA | August 31, 2010

Approximately 50,000 minks got a taste of freedom after someone apparently broke into two fur farms in Greece last weekend and released the animals from their hideous, cramped, filthy little cages. So far, no one has claimed responsibility for freeing the minks, but you only need to watch a few seconds of this undercover footage, which was shot on a mink farm in Sweden, to understand why minks are best left in the wild.

Horror revealed on Swedish fur farms from Djurrättsalliansen on Vimeo.

We can all emancipate minks and other animals who are imprisoned, trapped, electrocuted, gassed, stomped on, and skinned alive for their fur. All we have to do is pledge never to buy or wear even a tuft of real fur and urge everyone we know to do the same.

Written by Lindsay Pollard-Post

Comments

• eve patel says:

Im sick,wish I could help the mink.Free them from this horror,they are beautiful animals.Please stop these farms.

• Phish says:

Nice . Releasing them was REALLY the way to go about things . Look at what Mink did to british wildlife Water Voles are endangered because of them! They also have no way to cope in the wild . GREAT GOING GUYS . I do not agree with fur for vanity but this is just wrong.

• Klara says:

I don’t understand how people can wear mink they never would wear cat… from far looks almost the same in these cages And then electrocution… the smell of fear and pain still in the pelt !!!

• Ted says:

Greek fur farms are horrible but they sure dont surprise me. You ever been to a greek restaurant? They will torture and eat anything they can get their greasy hands on and then wear the skin afterwards. Greece sucks!

• MARCIA says:

GOD BLESS THE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO DID IT. GOD BLESS PETA FOR THE WONDERFUL JOB THEY DO FOR ANIMALS D

• vignesh says:

i think the guy who did this deserves 50000 dollars.

• Lily says:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated Mahatma Gandhi

• Dianne Harrop says:

I think if we were able to ask the animals they would choose to take their chances in the wild at least they are free. Activism is controversial at least it brings attention to the situation.

• Shannon Martel says:

Hate to break it to you all but this happens in America also. It happens to cows pigs chickensducks and cats dogs wildlife and animals used for fur also. There are fur farms in America also. Horrible people run them. When we start treating these people the same way they treat these poor animals it will never stop!!!!

• Abbie says:

OMG..crying like a baby I am in Australia and if some one here treated there dog or cat etc in this manner they would be run through the courts and probably have at least a fine if not jail time too yet these bastards are allowed with government approval it seems to treat thousands and thousands of animals this way. Was’t I a fool thinking this sort of barbaric behaviour only occured in Asia…..SCREW YOU EUROPE!!!

• Becca Thorne says:

PETA shame on you for not pointing out or at least publishing my comment that while it is great that the people who released these mink were saving them from a horrendous life and slow agonising death they did so at the expense of the natural habitat. Many of the commentors here are naive to the delicate balance of local ecology and while commenting passionately and from the heart they seem concerned only with how the mink will survive now. Yes mink released from fur farms in the UK did nearly destroy our native water vole though I didn’t write that comment. Google it. Kudos for helping the mink but shame for harming the native water birds reptiles and other animals the mink and the many generations of them to comecould hunt to extinction.

• nick johnson says:

…Tawny. Yes you have a point that the animals may die in the wild but at least they have a chance. The government will not ban fur as it makes them money..the only way to stop it is by making it cost more money to take the fur in production the cost of cleaning all this mess up will be massive..if it continues to happen then the cost of clearing up the mess will out way the tax they get on the fur. Plus that fur business will have lost lots and lots of profit . I can ensure you that the animals are happier now! More of this please!! Nice one guys who did this!

• maxine says:

after viewing that mink fur farm i will never wear or buy any fur nor will my family thanks for showing me the other side im sure not all the minks will make it but at least they had a chance and a small taste of freedom i hope most of them are still alive

• Lindsey D'Antonio says:

Big Hugs to whoever was brave enough to set them free!! We should all be so confident in our morals!

• Mackenzie says:

The people who did this are amazing! People who wear fur are cruel. yay stuff like this amkes me smile there should be more people like these rescuers in the world

• Siri says:

Omg I couldn’t help but cry when I saw this video. I’m still crying and I hope everyone who’s ever hurted an animal will suffer just as much themselves ! When I grow up I want to be like you people in PETA.

• Samantha O'Brien says:

Good set the mink free…set all animals free. Let them live how nature intended. Nature will manage it’s own numbers. The human race are the most evil cruel repulsive venomous race of all and I am ashamed and sickened to be a to be a part of it!

• Jasmine Chen says:

hooray.. minks everywhere are dancing for joy!!!!!

• Aussie says:

This has made my day completely. If only we could put an end to the cruelty on minks..and all animals. But come on why are people so sick? Minks are so adorable and they have feelings too!

• Sharfin says:

This video made me cry. I had no idea it was this bad. Good thing I have never wore fur or bought anything with fur I would never be able to forgive myself. I’m happy the little minks got away. WTF is wrong with people.

• Green Living says:

It is extremely sad what is happening in the Swedish fur farms! fur farms owners are holding helpless animals hostages. They are abusing these creatures. It is disgusting they are disgusting! They are making Minks crazy by keeping them in this kind of confinements. If they cannot see anything wrong with the conditions they created for Minks… What are these people?

• Edeltraud F.de Moraes says:

“Is it really the year of 2010? So is it not the time to go out of hell? Its about attention responsibility and care! So we all URGENTLY need to change our action in life! …Since we all share feelings such as pain pleasure and joy at some basic level we as rational human beings have an obligation to contrib…ute in whatever way we can to the happiness of other species and try our best to relieve their fears and sufferings. As Albert Schweitzer so eloquently said “Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things man will not himself find peace.”

• Patricia Austin-Puccio says:

Thank you so much. Fur needs another round of exposure people have forgotten how vile it is. Just a quick note to the women who just wrote a comment this took place in Greece and PETA was not involved they are just posting the news on it. I am really happy that they at least get a chance at freedom. It is dubious whether or not they will be able to survive on their own but I feel at least they can have chance as compared with a life of torture and certain death by grotesque means. I am sure that we all can agree it is not idealfor the minks nor the surrounding areashabitatwildlife. The ideal would be for fur not to exist at all. We can work toward that and hope.

• tiff says:

THANKS TO THOESE RESCUERS U GUYS ARE AMZING AND DESERVE THE BEST IN YOUR LIVES THE NIMALS WILL LOVE U GUYS. SHAME ON GREEK PEOPLE FOR THE FUR FARM MAY THEY DIE EARLY. THANKS TO THE RESCUERS GAIN AND AGIAN!!! GOD BLESS AL U WONDERFUL AND BRAVE PEOPLE

• Hastaroth says:

I live in Greece and so far I haven’t learned of such an event.Howeverif it’s truethe person who did this is a brave person and should be publicly praised. As for the owner of the breeding farmI understand this was a significant financial loss for him but he can as well switch his business to producing artificial furs…

• Jenni says:

I love Anonymous’ naked lack of courage to post his or her name in the protest of the mink’s apparent blame for the disappearance of voles. Just like the people who wear and manufacture fur products. Cowards.

• Shellie says:

We dont need a fur industry this is so prehistoric idiotic and if people think its fashionable to hang a dead animal skin around themselves them they are retarded and need to be reeducated.

• Anonymous says:

Hm Mink caused the Water Vole to become endangered in britain because they escaped from fur farms. Would you willingly sacrifice some native species to save mink ?

• lindy says:

this is absoulutely discustingi cannot begin to understand the mentality of people that would inflict such pain and suffering on such defensless animalslets hope one daysoonsomething wil be done to stop thisas well as the cats and dogs that are alsoand other animals that are skinned for their furs.I just hope and praythat these miserable excuses called “man” suffer pain and suffering at some point in their lives before they leave this planet!!!!!!

• Micansuhi says:

one day most horrible humans will pay for all their murdering crimes what goes around comes around and i really believe that this farmer will come back as a Mink and end up in a fur farm.

• Catherine says:

looking at this fur shop makes me shiver… how animals have to die for fashion.. and it has been stated on the site that fur is not to keep us warm but its a musthave!!! argh!! how can that be? check it out httpwww.kaufmanfurs.netindex.html

• Rev. Meg Schramm says:

Recently in an episode of “MAD MEN” the character Rodger Sterling was shown purchasing a mink stole for his mistress “Joan Holloway” played by Christina Hendricks. The series is set in the early 1960′s before PETA was born and before animal rights exsisted and fur farms were exposed. My suggestion is that PETA approach the female leads in the series Christina Hendricks January Jones and Elizabeth Moss Elizabeth got “naked” in the same episode to show a man she was working with how liberated she was about appearing in a “We’d Rather Be Naked Than Wear Fur” ad. These three ladies are head turners especially Christina Hendricks.

• Catherine says:

there is a fur shop in NY. httpwww.kaufmanfurs.netindex.html

• Irene Leggett says:

I cannot believe that as we are now in the 21st Century this type of industry is still allowed to continue for the sake of the ‘minority’ who think that wearing fur is fashionable. Every day it seems that the human race sinks lower into inhumane animal welfare and cruelty situations escalate. When will it ever end????? Hopefully people with compassion will slowly make changes and laws that will enable animals of all kinds to be treated with respect and not just as objects to be abused and exploited.

• shelly says:

I find it sometime incredable that humans still want to wear another species skin but yet they gasp in horror of cannibal and psycotics criminals that would wear human skin.These factory fur farmers should be put into these cages for the same damn length they put these species in and giv ethem the same living conditions minus the skinning of course and then see if they still feel the same way after. I’ve come across people who wear their fur coats and whispered near them ‘ its still breathing’. TO those that freed the minks may good karma come your way for evey life you save. hugs to you all!

• Stavros says:

Bravo to the Greek animal rights activists. I say opa opa opa. In greek this is a toast of highest honor. If only one mink survives in freedom it was well worth the risk to free 50000. Run little mink and and find some shade and water and work your way to Mountains where the temp should be cooler. Yaisou.

• Steve in AR says:

The furriers need to experience exactly the same ordeal that they perpetrate on the minks. Maybe that would change their viewpoint. But probly not

• Ryan Brit says:

We are all very proud of whoever did this!!! We need more people like you!!!

• Josh G. says:

Great news! Thank you PETA! I’d rather risk my life and die FREE wild than send a SECOND in a cage! The fact that they RAN out of there shows how much they were suffering.

• kimberly beck says:

These poor animals!!!!!!!!! how awful this film was it needs to be seen by EVERYONE so they can see what happens… the fur industry needs to go away… people who work on these farms are inhumane and have no conscious!!!!

• Tal says:

Ofcourse it is good to release them into the wild. What are you talking about? First of all these animals were not made to become a hat a coat etc. They were not made to be stuck in little cages waiting for their gruesome death and hoping for freedom. You worry what 50k Minks will do in the wild? Well release them all and they will live the way they have to. Hunteatmatedie. That is their cycle of life. Don’t worry about what they will do in the wild in their natural home. Worry about how the wild lacks them.

• Sarah Kruck says:

I want to treat the devils who treat these beautiful poor animals like that the same way !!!!!

• Helena says:

A very good documentary thank you. It is a shame to see animals still so poorly treated especially in a ‘first world’ country. Many of us never wear fur in our lives so if we don’t need fur why do we even need fur farms at all? I truly hope that this practice becomes banned worldwide one day.

• naomi says:

Im glad all those mink were set free. keep up the work guys fur farms will be shut down for good soon!

• Christine says:

Oh my goodness! This is so great!

• Stephanie says:

I have to comment again….this is not humane the way these mink have to suffer in those cages and since they are so hungry and thirsty they are eating each others ears and other parts off their bodies…they get put in a carbon dioxide poisening barrel when they are 6 mths old to die and its not an instant death..they suffer and feel like they are suffocating…This NEEDS TO STOP NOW!!! WTF is wrong with all these people on earth that treat our animals like that…I would like to permanently make them suffer for what they have done…they have the blood of the minks on their hands and its inhumane

• Mary says:

It was good to see the animals were freed i wish we could save all of them its so cruel since finding out about this 4 months ago everyday i think of these animals it tears my heart so much

• Stephanie says:

I cant believe some of these pics of these poor minks….wtf is wrong with people

• Stephanie says:

Kudos to whoever did that…things like this is what makes me smile…what is wrong with people killing animals for their fur or meat? Hideous is all I can say and I hope god one day takes care of them

• Tawny says:

I love PETA but releasing minks into the wild is NOT the best way to handle the problem. Releasing that many minks causes problems in the area they are released into. What are those 50K minks going to eat? The way to deal with this problem is to make wearing furs socially unacceptable and ban farming of animals for their fur.