Homeless Animals Receive Special Holiday Gift

Written by PETA | November 20, 2009

This week Windsor, North Carolina, officials cut the red ribbon that wrapped PETA’s very special gift to animals in this small Southern town. For nearly a decade, PETA has been working with Windsor and other area towns to provide homeless animals in their care with better housing conditions and a peaceful end when euthanasia is the most humane option.

In 2000, PETA was alerted by a caring police officer to terrible suffering and appalling conditions at several “animal shelters” in North Carolina, some of which were nothing more than outdoor shacks, like the one in Windsor. Dogs and cats left inside these outdoor “coops” suffered without heat in the winter and air conditioning, or even fans, in the scorching summer. As a result, some animals literally drowned or froze to death at some town facilities. When no homes could be found for them, many were killed by gas poisoning or gunshots.

Windsor

Today, we are thrilled to announce that this week, PETA representatives were joined by Windsor’s mayor, Robert Spivey, and several other county officials to celebrate the town’s new animal shelter, funded entirely by PETA, to ensure that homeless animals in Windsor are housed comfortably and humanely from here on out. Get ready for a pretty amazing reveal:

Windsor

As for the old shack, we’re planning a very special demolition party that will take place soon.

Since receiving that initial complaint nearly a decade ago, PETA has become a lifesaving presence in many impoverished areas near our headquarters in Southern Virginia. We have provided hundreds of doghouses, free and low-cost spay/neuter services, food, toys, no-spill water receptacles, and more to local citizens and their animal companions, and we regularly work with local law-enforcement officials to prosecute those who harm animals. Every dollar PETA spends helps to ensure that a needy animal receives warmth during winter, shade during summer, fresh food, and clean water. Considering the difficult economic situation and winter’s frigid temperatures, we—and animals—need your help now more than ever. Visit HelpingAnimals.com to learn how you can help neglected and homeless animals in your own neighborhood and beyond.

Written by Karin Bennett

Comments

• Tammy says:

WOW! Thanks guys!

• Joan says:

And a thank you to the compassionate cop an honorable man or woman who got the ball rolling and ended this torture.

• Bethany says:

Thank you for doing this Peta! You have given these animals and amazing gift!

• Mauricio says:

wow you are the best !!! mmm i am not american but is interesting and greAT

• Stacy says:

I like the fact that you guys at Peta took action with this I like what you guys stand for also. No animal deserves to suffer like that so it is cool how you have made a much nicer living condition for homeless animals. I am from Pittsburgh and to help out I have decided to volunteer at Animal Friends which is a nokill shelter although not all animal shelters have humane practices so what you guys did was a step in the right direction. Go PETA!

• Karen says:

that facility looks like a great improvement. but it will only help when the animals are put there and fed drink there.

• Claudine Erlandson says:

I am crying tears of joy. PETA is so great…Thank you my heart is overwhelmed. I just can’t imagine how horrible it was for these poor cats and dogs before. My favorite saying is How I love PETA let me count the ways…but I first have to blow my nose and wipe my tears.

• Judy Lust says:

God Bless Peta! You have done a truly wonderful thing! I hope the word gets out to detractors and to other proanimal groups alike.

• Michelle says:

I did not know that PETA did these kinds of things. I had no idea how much they help. This definately makes me want to donate and support PETA even more! Thanks

• sylvia philippon says:

This just brings tears of joy to my eyes… Happy thanksgiving to all our little friends…

• Allie says:

Wonderful Work Guys

• Walter Zayas says:

i wish PETA would open a non profit animal shelter where i live. There are no shelters in my town. and more than a hundred dogs and even more cats on the street starving every single day. i try to help out as many as possible but its impossible without help. i live in COAMO Puerto Rico.