Former Ringling Bros. Employee Speaks Out

Written by PETA | December 17, 2007

Archele Hundley is the latest in a long list of brave ex-Ringling Bros. employees to come to PETA with her story about what the folks at the circus get up to when they think no one’s watching. The PSA that she just recorded for us to help expose the circus’s animal abuse is a must-see for any parents who still take their kids to the circus, so please do pass it on if you know any grown-ups with children.

Comments

• Richard Barnes says:

I hate any organization that says it is entertainment off the back of any animalperiodI also hate cities such as NYC that allows horses to pull horse drawn carriages and as Mayor Bloomberg to out law horse drawn carriages NOW. not weeks of indecision. Richard Barnes Richard Barnes .

• Caboose says:

Problem with the sanctuary is that whos gonna take care of the Elephants? An AH64? please. And whos to say that the caretaker wont be abusive?

• Kelley says:

The last time I went to a circus was in 3rd gradea class trip. Even when I was that young I knew something was seriously wrong with this form of “entertainment.” Little kids are emotionally honest and far more aware of what is going around them than adults give them credit for. I wonder how many kids I see being taken to circuses today by their parents feel the same way I did then?

• Maya, Master's candidate, wildlife biology says:

Thank you Archele. You’re sure to save many elephants from a horrible fate with your brave words. I second the reccomendation for Cirque de Soleil. Your spelling was correct Rex’s mom! I’ve seen Cirque and it’s ten times better than any animal circus you’ll see. Absolutely spectacular. And they don’t use animals only humans.

• Ashley who chooses to live peacefully with animals says:

Elephants are just too smart to be kept in small pens. i love them

• Dana says:

Archele Hundley I also applaud your courage in coming forth…I can not believe that people still go and spend money to support this awful abuse even after knowing the things that go on behind their closed doors. Ringling Brothers circus will be in our area soon I was sadden to see the sign advertising it I remember one year here the elephants that were walking in a straight line in front of traffic broke free caused some damage but no innocent people were hurt thank goodness. I will be putting my article in our local newspaper within the up coming weeks to express my disgust in this event taken place in our town. Maybe just maybe it will make some people change their minds about purchasing a ticket.

• John Carmody says:

Well done i wish one day a circus employee will come out of the cruelty closet here in Ireland and expose the awful suffering in Irish circuses too.

• marysol says:

Even as a little girl I knew that circus animal trainers were nothing but a bunch of cruel bastards that’s why I stopped going to the circus I hate to see animals suffer!!!! I wish it was illegal to have animals in circuses!!!!

• Jennifer Gottlieb says:

I’ve never posted any comments before but I felt that I had to say something. What people do to animals in the circus is HORRIFYING! Thank you for speaking up!

• Ricky says:

Ringling needs to be shut down and those animals cared for at a sanctuary. Thank you Archele for speaking up.

• Judith, Freedom Fighter for Animals says:

Archele Thank you for speaking out about the abuse of these wonderful gentle giants. You have so much integrity. Judith

• Rex's mom says:

No one should ever attend a circus that has animals. The Cirque de Soleil not sure of spellng has only human performers who have the choice to be in the circus. Circus animals have no choice. They are forced to doing unnatural tricks to “entertain” audiences. Something more must be done to stop these atrocities other than just not going to the circus. But no one wants to listen. A lot of people still don’t know how all the animals not just the elephants suffer at the hands of sadistic “trainers.” I wish someone would take a bullhook to these torturers and see how they like it!

• Mike Quinoa says:

Way to go Archele. I applaud your courage.