Update: PETA Files Suit Seeking Information on Sanctioning of Cruel Dairy Farm

Written by PETA | February 26, 2013

Update: PETA has filed a lawsuit against the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets under the state’s Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) seeking records relating to Adirondack Farms, LLC—the subject of last year’s undercover PETA investigation that revealed routine abuse and neglect of cows (see below for details).

© Jo-Anne McArthur / We Animals

Despite these abuses, the department certified Adirondack under its Cattle Health Assurance Program, which is meant to protect the health and welfare of cows on dairy farms. Records relating to a farm’s participation in this program are supposed to be open to the general public under FOIL, but the department has improperly denied PETA access to many of these records. Since this information is of vital interest to anyone who wants to see farmed animals treated with the respect and care that they deserve, PETA was left with no choice but to sue to obtain the withheld records.

Originally posted on April 11, 2012:

The dairy farm manager who repeatedly electro-shocked a cow in the face and brushed off the fact that his workers hit cows with poles and canes by saying that they sometimes “get carried away” is still employed as a manager at the farm—a month after PETA notified the farm’s owners of the cruelty and released video evidence of the abuse.

More Cruelty Caught on Video

The same manager at Adirondack Farms, LLC, in Peru, New York, was recorded jabbing a downed cow in the ribs with a screwdriver and dragging her behind a skid steer. He cursed at her—calling her a “dumb b***h” and asking how the “f**k” she was unable to stand. You may remember that this man stated that when a cow’s uterus prolapses during calving, workers simply “put [the uterus] back in and hope she lives … long enough for the beef truck to come get her.”

Farm Silent on Ending Abuse

Before we went public with the video footage that we gathered during our undercover investigation, we asked the farm’s owners to take immediate disciplinary action, including termination, against the employees who were documented abusing animals. We gave the owners a detailed list of men and explained what they did. We followed up. Four weeks later, the owners remain silent. Even after eye-opening news reports on the case, neither Adirondack Farms nor Agri-Mark, the company that it supplies with milk, has announced taking a single meaningful step to improve their animal welfare standards. And that this manager is still on the job at the farm suggests that it’s cruel business as usual there and beyond in the dairy industry.

What You Can Do

Comments

• Vicki Cook says:

I signed the petition and sent a letter to the owner of this dairy farm. I will do everything in my power to stop the cruelty to animals. Enough said.

• Alessandro Borges says:

We will reduce the consumption of milk and dairy products. It is very easy to stop this cruelty to animals. Just lessen or stop consumption that these poor farmers who do not have to sell their products, whether meat or milk.

• victoria says:

How about a boycott of cabot cheese! I called their corporate headquarters and spoke to an assortment at corporate, including their PR head, and their could careless. Cabot makes a lot of money and certainly their lack of concern reflects their support of the horrific animal abuse…all to get your cheese dollars! Don’t buy Cabot cheese for several months and they would be forced to handle the abuses, fire their animal abusing milk supplier and take a stand (albeit a forced one) against animal abuse!

• Tammy Ebers says:

We need stronger laws to protect these animals, it is so sad any that person can treat a living being so cruel. Why does this man still have a job?

• Charlotte Vallner says:

Cruelty against animals MUST be stoped ! It is horrible !!!!!

• gary says:

use the petition process to stop all animal cruelty issues, it works!!!

• cminshall says:

Disguting!!! I can’t continue to watch. PROSECUTE those that treat animals so inhumanely!!

• Kim Hutchins says:

How can you treat another being that way? It will come back to you.

• Jeanette Shutay says:

Every day I am more and more sickened and disgusting by so called “human beings”. What is wrong with people? Why is allowed?

• Stewart Rosenkrantz says:

What makes people do such abhorrent, unbelievably cruel things to helpless animals?

• Cheryl Janachione says:

Digusting…who ARE these people? I hope he gets his….

• Barbara Lafaver says:

We must demand humane treatment for these poor animals who have no voice! Abusers should be punished to the full extent of the law and also sent to psychological counseling to find out why they are cruel and violent.

• Charyl Sharma says:

Oh good God! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Goddamn you bastard, stop it!!! #Tears

• YANNICK says:

first off , why is he calling the cow a dumb bitch and cursing at the cow telling it to get the fuck up , like if the cow is actually gonna get up. This man is what i call a low-life because he takes his aggressions out on animlas like cows & feels like it’s not wrong cause it’s a cow. I’d spit in this piece of shit man’s face if i ever saw him.

• Tania says:

This is no way to treat animals!! They can’t speak for themselves!! The manager is insane, letting this happen!

• Morrissey Klair says:

A society is judged by the way they treat their animals…. Americas looking pretty bad right now. These animals cant speak, talk, or defended for themselves. We are ment to love animals not hurt them. THIS MAKES ME SICK! Go vegan!

• Michikita petit says:

I admit I love dairy products , but this is No way to treat the animals, I lived a cupple of years in a small town and truly appreciate Now the beaty of a simple life. The people would milk their own cow and make their own chese. Yes it requires abit more work but it is truly cruelty free, respecting the animal, the product and oneself.

• Brittney says:

This makes me so sad. I can’t even describe the feelings I am overwhelmed with after watching this video. VEGAN is the only way to live.

• heatlynns says:

I am very disgusted over this. I can not believe that this is not considered cruelty to animals and charges havent been filed.

• Lynda says:

Its a shame that people have to treat animals that way . Those people should get treated like that to see how the cows feel !

• Michelle Walker says:

They have to go. What a weak arrogant set of bastards for not acting under the weight of this. I will do my very tiny bit that I can in this country but you have to stop buying their products to get through. They haven’t listened so hit them in the only place they understand. Their pockets!!

• daytonachuff says:

I feel for these animals. I just dont undertand the cruel nature of people. Well some people. I feel anger. I just read a story about some spanish king elephant hunting. WTF, there is absolutely no reason to hunt elephans. We, as a species are warped, evil and uncaring. Hopefully there will be recourse someday. Until then, my heart is heavy. And to you other posters, thank god your there. Thank you. Peta has my support on a monthly basis.

• Jane Tiberio says:

Would you liked to be shocked in the face? How about dragged? How about hooked up to a machine 24/7. Yes, I have farm animals and when treated with compassion and respect they respond the same way! Loser!

• Marithza says:

I have no idea how people like this go on and live an everyday life, knowing the harm they bring to mother earths animals. Have they had a rough child hood,grown up with no mother or father? could of been but this gives no human alive the rights to torture another living thing. God gave up his life for a good reason, he also put animals in this world for another one. Considering the fact that im only 15, i have more knowledge and a bigger heart than those who show no feelings towards there awful actions ! To those who actually have the chance, money or actions to stop this, start acting ! I have little hope, but thats enough for me to believe in change. ….. Have they put this man in jail ? E mail me please with any information.

• Sharon says:

@mark – are you suggesting that those of us that don’t work with large animals don’t understand or that we shouldn’t care? Don’t all creatures great and small deserve proper handling and proper medical treatment?

• mary says:

Thank you for Peta for bringing this story to light. I have emailed Agri-mark today to vent my disgust with this company, and i want to encourage others to do the same. Please write to CEO Dr. Richard Stammer’s communications director, Doug DiMento at (ddimento@agrimark.net). Or, write a letter via their web site (http://www.agrimark.net/public/contact.php.) Here is my email. GO PETA!!!! To: Head Office Managers, and Dr. Richard Stammer. As a long-time customer and buyer of your products i was deeply disappointed and utterly disturbed by the recent news eluding to acts of utter torture and miss-treatment of livestock by the hands of the manager and other employees of Agri-Mark. I am writing you today to inform you that since nothing has been done about the abuse, and the people responsible for ELECTRO-SHOKING COWS IN THE FACE continue to be supported by the owner of Agri-Mark… that I, my family, friends, and my friend’s friends will no longer financially support your amoral business due to the ill treatment of these clearly abused animals. I also want to make it clear to you that I will make sure to spread the word about your sadistic business practice to my coworkers, neighbors, acquaintances, and my 468 contacts on facebook. I guarantee you that some of my contacts will also spread the word about your twisted business to their facebook contacts. Lastly, all employees at Agri-Mark (that includes the person reading this email) should be ashamed that their income comes from the neglect and torture of these sentient creatures. Hope you all enjoy the $10.00 an hour you earn while the CEO and Share-owners of this company rake in billions out of, literally, milking cows to death. But I bet you all sleep like babies at night. Sincerely, No longer your customer

• Jade Simpson says:

There is some devil people out there. Too many of them. Go vegan people. Let’s end this abuse.

• Nicole says:

Everyone needs to email this farm owner!

• Theresa says:

That is just not right! STOP please there are different ways to handel this…. please just STOP!!

• mooch12 says:

Dear Jon, I have worked with cows and horses my whole life. I understand that there are times when they are difficult to deal with. But all you guys suck if you can’t do any better than this. Any person that would abuse an animal would abuse a child! Have you let your children know what goes on there?

• Alisha says:

These people shouldn’t be alive.. They’re not working for the satisfaction of the customer’s consumption.. They’re merely there to torture animals.. And they get paid for it so they continue to do so. I didn’t even bother to watch, the description was clear enough. Ugh, humans are a disgrace, representing this planet awfully. No wonder aliens are scared to land here.

• jessica Northey says:

this is just unreal and absolutely disgusting.

• jennifer m says:

i love animals and to see that made me sick .that man should have the same thing done to him and see how it feels.

• mark says:

does anyone commenting on this video actually work with large animals?

• Foreverlucyx says:

This is just sick and the fact that he is still working there Bull shit

• Bethany1 says:

This made my physically sick. Just because an animal can’t actually say words to express the pain it is feeling, or stand up for itself gives no man a right to treat it like this. I would honestly ask this man how he would feel if this was his mother being shocked and forced to live with pain how he would feel. Then again, he would just call it a dumb animal and not think twice about having feeling for it.

• PETA says:

Jon Rulfs’ email address is: jon@adirondackfarms.net Thank you for sending Mr. Rulfs a polite email asking to discipline and/or terminate the employees PETA documented abusing cows.

• Irene Leggett says:

Why. oh why, do these #’seek employment working with animals when they so obviously hate them? Do the employers actively seek workers with a degree in abuse and cruelty? Shame, shame, shame on all involved and shame on all who stand by watching and do nothing.

• David H says:

Hello, I have made it my mission to devote 10 to 15 minutes of my day, 5 days a week to sharing stories like this one with as many people as possible. It has been my experience that 4 of my friends became vegans after they had witnessed similar cruelties though the amazing work of peta and mercy for animals.

• JOANNE says:

HE IS A SCUM OF THE EARTH COWARD. YOU ARE JUST AS BAD AS HE IS IF YOU DON’T FIRE HIM AND ANYONE ELSE LIKE HIM. HE IS A WUSSY LITTLE MAN. ANYBODY THAT TORTURES INNOCENT ANIMALS IS THE LOWEST FORM OF LIFE!!! I HOPE PETA SHUTS YOU DOWN!!!!

• Javier says:

Could you please post Jon Rulfs’ email for those of us who don’t have Microsoft Outlook? Thank you.

• Aman kapur says:

Such people shld b thrown in a mental hospital …they r xtremely dangerous to the society as a whole coz ppl wth such mentality so as to jab a cow after she just gave birth is xtreme cuelty!nip it in the bud as they……

• Rhonda Keen says:

I still don’t understand why this is allowed to go on. These people or workers who are hurting and torturing animals and are still allowed to work there. They should be fired and be put in JAIL! These people are SCUM! They should have to go to jail!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• annie bode says:

Only a despicable coward would abuse an animal. Shame on him and shame on the owner of the farm if he does not fire the scumbag,

• pia foss-saarinen says:

Why to work in there with sutch a loving animals and then someone paid for he who know what cruelty things he have done and how sick he must be… please send he get some treatment for his ilness of head. Thak you.

• Mae says:

the worse thing ever is to bully the helpless … animals and children – this man should be fired pronto!

• Briein says:

It is just like man’s vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions. ~Mark Twain

• Jessica says:

Thus is a sick sick person! He needs to be fired! He souls never be allowed to work near any kind of animals ever again and he should not be allowed to have pets! If he treats ciws this way what else does he do? He also needs to be fined!

• Liz says:

Ditto Angela

• angela says:

“If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” J. K. Rowling