Authorities Are on the Scene at PETCO and PetSmart Supplier

Written by PETA | April 22, 2010

It’s déjà vu all over again, and it’ll probably have you wondering: What is PETCO thinking? Other than, “Hey, we can make some money!”

A PETA undercover investigator worked for more than three months at Sun Pet Ltd., an animal dealer in Atlanta that sells hamsters, mice, gerbils, birds, fish, and other small animals directly to PetSmart, PETCO, Pet Supplies “Plus,” Petland, and Walmart. He documented that animals were cruelly killed, abusively handled, and kept in severely crowded, filthy conditions. Surprised?

PETA’s investigator witnessed numerous abuses. A worker put hamsters in a plastic bag and bashed them against a table in an attempt to kill them. He also reported that many sick and injured animals died after PETCO and PetSmart stores returned them like damaged goods to Sun Pet without enclosing any food or water for the long journey, instead of providing them with veterinary care or ending their suffering.

PETA turned over the investigator’s findings to law-enforcement authorities. This morning, officials descended on Sun Pet’s massive warehouse.

Sun Pet sells hundreds of thousands of animals annually, just like U.S. Global Exotics (USGE), the exotic-animal dealer that PETA investigated late last year. That investigation resulted in the seizure of more than 26,000 animals, the largest animal seizure in history. (Perhaps also not surprisingly, Sun Pet has ties to USGE. Before that hellhole was raided and shut down, Sun Pet purchased hamsters from USGE and then sold them to PETCO stores, among others!)

This is PETA’s fourth exposé revealing the abusive and filthy conditions endured by animals who are eventually sold at PETCO stores and our third exposé revealing conditions for animals who are eventually sold at PetSmart stores. Please tell PetSmart and PETCO in no uncertain terms to stop selling animals in their stores.

PETA investigations amply demonstrate that appalling neglect and abuse is just business as usual for companies that buy and sell living beings, so please tell your coworkers, friends, and everyone you know not to shop in their stores.

Written by Alisa Mullins

Comments

• Patricia A. Blea says:

I am very disturbed by the treament of these very precious animals. Our heavenly creator’s personality is seen in all his creations. That is why we get so much joy out of all of these dear animals.Money is the root of all evil.These stores must be held liable.

• Barry Kushner says:

This cruelty must be stopped.

• Tina says:

That makes me really angry to see that they would keep them in bins without any sun or light getting in and especially nowhere to run around and have fun! Is there anyway we could contact them and ask them to make a more humane way of dealing with things.

• Bari St. James says:

I shop at both stores. Will not continue to give them my business if they don’t stop this from happening in the future!

• Sarah Caldwell says:

It still amazes me that people today can be this cruel to such beautiful helpless creatures that cause no harm and cannot defend themselves. Sick pathetic enter expletive here

• Julie Robbs says:

I am so sick of waking up to abused animals EVERY DAY. This is so sickening.What the hell is wrong with people!!! Any person who can do anything to harm ANY animal needs to be handled the same way in a dark alley. These people will burn in hell as they should!!! Im not surprised about PetcoPetsmart but they should be ashamed of themselves. How dare they claim to be pet friendly. I absolutely DO NOT want to help these stores in any way!!! Thumbs up PETA for being the voice of ALL ANIMALSbig and small.

• Irma G says:

I will never purchase one thing either from Petco or Petsmart. I won’t even take my dogs to get groomed for fear they will be hurt as these poor defenseless creatures of God are treated.

• Jacq says:

I urge all to boycott these stores! We are powerful when we make the choice to consciously ensure our individual buying power goes to those who act responsibly and humanely.

• tracy clayton says:

Im so sad to think that across the world we so called human beings treat these lovely sweet animals in such a disgusting way. We are the worst species on this planet. We must stop this.

• Peggy Biekowski says:

After reading this article on the cruelty of these poor innocent animals I refuse to step foot in Petsmart anymore. When I hear they have cut all ties with these animal abusers I will think about revisiting their stores again but not until then.

• Denise Tansley says:

Ok so now you write to your MP’s and ask them what are they going to do about the cruelty of animals whether they are farmed shipped half way around the world or testing on them. Conservatives and Labour will do nothing Labour has done nothing but allow this and conservatives are even going to bring back fox hunting and our local MP even supports the use of fur???? Go ask them and vote wisely.

• Fidelma says:

I will not buy dog food PETCO anymore.

• Carol says:

We bought a dog from a place like Petco many many years ago and it was such a total heart break I really don’t have the words. We took him from one doctor after another and they said there was nothing we or they could do for her and so we returned the dog. They refused to give back our money until I started yelling to the top of my voice to keep me quiet they gave us back the money they only problem was when I deposited the check in my checking account they cancelled my endorsement and the check bounced along with many other checks. I took their check back but didn’t enter the establishment and ordered them to give me another check again they didn’t want to do it and warned them I will start yelling again they gave me another check. I went to their bank early in the morning to cash the check they tried to call them but it was to early for them to open so they gave me the money and I put cash in our bank but look what we had to go through to get our money back. NEVER NEVER BUY ANYTHING ALIVE AT PET SHOP MARK MY WORDS!!!

• Joanne says:

That’s a disgrace! I can no longer shop at these stores as long as this continues!

• Lauren says:

Homo sapiens are so revolted by the Holocaust. Are companies like these not executing a similar Holocaust merely because the brunt of the genocide is a dissenting species?

• Carisa says:

This is animal abuse and cruelty and in the name of making money!! These suppliers need to punished to the fullest extent! There is no reason to harm or disregard innocent creatures!

• anon says:

that is just sick. sick sick SICK. i am currently writing a report on animal rights and these sorts of mistreatments are desbicable. They may not be able to speak like us or hear like us but animals CAN feel pain and abuse like us.

• Amanda Maple-Brown says:

I will never ever buy animals from those types of stores if that is how they are treated. Unbelievably cruel.

• linda Keenan says:

This is disgusting Any time money is to be made you can be certain the animals will suffer! Ban stores that sell pets!

• NA says:

These people MUST be held accountable for their actions this is unacceptable! PETA thank you for all you do for poor defenseless animals!

• lauren n. says:

How the heck are those poor creatures supposed to freakin’ eat or drink? REALLY!!!!!!! Can’t those idiots at Sun Pet just stop and think about that? Really ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? P.S. they should at least have thier own little “Home” too!

• Kathy Khoshfahm says:

As long as people and animals coexist animals will continue to be abused neglected and tortured. I am so sick of this bullshit. I will not even watch the video because if I do I’ll dwell on it forever. I have seen enough. My hope is that all that have Live be delivered from suffering…

• sara stinson says:

there’s actually a animal shelter in bolwingreen and they really do take care of the animals unlike these sick people that work in petco petsmart. the 2 the animal shelter is 8428572.it really helped me with my farrett cause i couldent care 4 him anymore.so if ur lookin 4 a place 2 get or get ride of an animal call.there open 104 everyday but on wednesday there not open at all on sunday there open 124 thanks please call if u need help with any animal.

• Elizabeth Bobadilla says:

Wow. I cannot believe how cold hearted they can be! Petsanimals are just like humans i know they wouldnt like it if someone were to do that to them. So theyt shouldnt do that to animals! Its so messed up. and sad i like almost cried. Ive cried in the other videos though Cause how could someone do that!!!?? Ugh gets me so freakin’ mad.

• Tori says:

Petco and Petsmart do not treat companion animals like the vendors show in the video. The companion animals in Petco stores are well cared for and are seen by a vet within 24 hours once they appear to show ANY signs of illness.

• Bree says:

i always wonder why the animals in petsmart are so afraid and unfriendly…this explains why.

• Rose says:

um i know this is bad but by showing this you do nothing. nothing happens they wont all be shut down. only more animals will die from not being bought

• oliva says:

I couldn’t watch it!!!!!

• amelia says:

I bought two rats from petsmart and i think i made them very happy

• JOYCE CASTANEDA says:

I WILL AND I PROMISE NEVER PURCHASE ANYMORE PRODUCTS FOR MY PETS THROUGH PETCO OR PETSMART….I WILL GO TO WALMART OR THE MA AND PAW STORES AND PAY THE EXTRA FOR WHAT MY 2 PETS NEEDS. YOU PEOPLE ARE SO CRUEL AND IF YOU WERE THE LAST JOB AVAILABLE AND I WAS ASKED TO WORK FOR YOPU I WOULD RATHER EAT BRWAD A LIVE ON WATER THAN WORK FOR EITHER ONE OF THESE COMPANIES.

• V******a P*****r says:

Wow. This breaks my heart and I’m only 11. I have seven pets witch I got at PetSmart and PetCo. I am now more proud then ever to know that I am helping thees animals. I still like PetSmart but NOT PetCo or Sun Pet thingy. Is there anything I can do to help PETA.

• Kara says:

PETA thank you for the time and energy you spend locating abusers of animals. I know there will always be people that mistreat animals in some way but with your help it narrows done some of the abuse. I am a shopper at PETCO and Pet Smart but I will start looking else where to purchase supplies for all my animals. I think it is awful how some people treat animals. They treat them like a thing to make money. They do not care about the animals well being.

• SALLY DIX says:

This is obscene unforgiveable and cruel in the worst possible way. I truly believe that it should be illegal to keep ANY ANIMALS in these large industrialized warehouses. It is archaic cruel simply unacceptable to cram animals into crates stacked on top of each other especially small animals like guinnea pigs hamsters rats mice etc. that are so delicate their little bones so easily broken their soft tissue so easily damaged. Just to keep these beautiful little creatures in this environment is totally unacceptable should be illegal. These animals are being treated like a business product being sold with profit in mind. There is NO COMPASSION CARE OR RESPECT for these living creatures that feel pain discomfort distress. Many pet stores buy their animals from these cruel warehouses. Please DO NOT BUY your pets from a pet store. This is not the first time I have heard about despicable cruelty taking place at PETSMART PETCO. There are millions of abandoned mistreated neglected animals in desperate need of a loving home in rescue centres animal shelters all over the world. PLEASE ADOPT YOUR PET FROM A RESCUE CENTRE OR ANIMAL SHELTER. As for the violent cruelty that these poor animals endure this absolutely breaks my heart. ANYONE who deliberately causes pain or suffering to ANY ANIMAL should be criminalized and locked up for a VERY LONG TIME. It is well documented that people that torture animals very often have psychopathic tendencies often progress to torturing or even murdering humans as well as animals. My heart breaks for all these defenceless animals who cannot say when they are in pain or suffering. WE MUST BE THEIR VOICE. FROM ONE WHO CARES DEEPLY FOR ALL THE ANIMALS OF OUR WORLD. SALLY DIX

• Clarissa Habekost says:

Humans are the most shelfish animal that exist. We think other animals dont feel pain fear hunger or dispair! We the so called superior species are not able to relate to any other life including the human animal! Congratulations for being different! It takes courage! Clarissa!

• Kris says:

This makes me sad…That’s it!

• darleneobier says:

please people treat your animals and pets with care god put yhem here for us to enjoy not to hurt they are suppose to raise our endorphins not our meaness.

• larry says:

this is why i don’t buy pets from shops. i either get ones by people who had babies or i just take in strays. right now i have a stray cat that has one ear that i have taken in. it is very affectionate. but now that i see that hamsters and such are being hurt like this it just comes to show that no1 can be trusted. also why do people need to give animals pet food dogs and cats can eat stuff that we eat and for us vegetarians we can feel birds rats hamsters and a lot of other animals what we eat all the time. and also can peta tell us if that gourmet food is real or is it abusive and such

• Heather Yeates says:

continue your beautiful work.. you inspire so many and help so many innocent animals who do not have another chance!

• Michelle says:

It is so sad to see this cruelty there is no respect for any living thing. It is so unfortunate that these animals and many more have to suffer.

• michelle says:

honestly when will people learn or even analyze what they’re doing?

• Ann says:

Now this is completely sick! I own the most beautiful hamster in the world… he’s going to be two now I got him from a pet shop that’s always clean and they’re never overcrowded…my hamster’s cage had about 5 animals in it and they were all bundled up on a bunch and sleeping some were having a snack running digging.. everyone was nice clean and healthy. I do not live in USA we breed less animals so they are all fine. I hate to see things like this. If I did this job I’d probably cuddle and kiss every single rat I’d take in my hand 3 3 I love animals this is an outrage!!

• Victoria says:

I feel so ignorant. I had no idea this went on. Its so disturbing I can’t believe it.

• carmen says:

god placed animals on the earthand we as humans are supposed to look after thembut what does this say about us.n0 wonder there is so much chaos in the worldand much more to come.

• Michelle Southard says:

Well I know where I’m not shopping anymore. Any place of business that will allow such practices to go is NOT a place I do business with. I intend to spread the word to all my friends and to others. I may just have to adopt a few of their animals so they have a good home and no abuse or neglect.

• harrisy says:

thank you for everything you guys do for animals. the things you guys do make me happy.

• Silver says:

I hate it when people hurt animals. I am going to school to be a vet but still the one who was doing all of the stuf is the suplyer not the store. PETCO and PetSmart carry so many things to help with the health of animals.put the blame where it belongs with the ones who sent the animals to the stors

• Crystal says:

After searching all over for this hick town for a store that sells cruelty free dog and cat food I found the brands PETA has listed on its guides at Petco that is the only place in town. After paying twice as much on animal food than I usually do I realized that i was supporting a store that sold mice to people to feed to snakes and then I took it back and bought my usual brands. I thought about getting my animal’s foods straight from the makers on their websites but then I started thinking about the shipping of cargo encouraging highway expansion which usually means habitat and environmental suffering. Not to mention a higher price tag. I am willing to make an economic sacrifice to support humane efforts but I am at a loss on just how. Someone help me.

• Linda says:

It is AWLAYS so heartbreaking to read about people who do not value living creatures that feel just like we feel think like we think and in many ways they love like we love! I will NEVER NEVER NEVER shop at PetSmart and Petco nor will any family member for friend or anyone I can spread the news to until animals are no longer sold at these stores.

• Pauline says:

There is no excuse but greed for this neglect and cruelty to animals these companies must be closed down and banned from dealing in any animals for life. This is an horrendous act of horrific cruelty which must be stopped NOW

• Andrew Crocker says:

I try to stay away from all pet store’s because it breaks my heart seeing any animals kept in confined and filthy places but this take’s the cake! I am Disgusted to be in the same Human race as these people that treat these innocent animals so badly and with no respect for life! This is a very sad world that we live in! All i can hope for is that these people will one day be treated the same way that they have treated these animals. Carma!