For the Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbsp. dark chocolate cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. egg replacer
1/2 cup margarine, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
Scant 1 cup vanilla soy milk
• Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, and egg replacer.
• In a separate bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the soy milk and dry mixture until combined.
• Pour into a prepared Twinkie mold and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
For the Filling:
1/2 cup vegan white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. soy milk
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
• Melt the chips in a double boiler. Whip in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
For the Chocolate Coating:
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp. soy milk
• Melt the ingredients in a double boiler until smooth.
Chocolate jimmies (optional)
• Using a pastry bag with a thin tip, pipe the filling into the bottom of the cakes. This should be done in 3 locations throughout the bottom to make sure the frosting is uniform.
• Frost the tops of the cakes with the chocolate coating and top with the jimmies. Let cool.
Makes 8 servings