For the Cake:
1 3/4 cups pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup Earth Balance margarine
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
For the ‘Milk’ Mixture:
2 Tbsp. cream of coconut
2 Tbsp. coconut milk
2 cups plain soy milk
2 cups Rich’s nondairy whipping cream
2 tsp. lime juice (optional)
Vegan whipping cream
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan. Line the pan with parchment.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
• In a separate smaller bowl, whisk the salt, margarine, sugar, water, vanilla, and vinegar until blended.
• Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• Cool the cake in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and allow to cool.
• Cut the cooled cake in half horizontally so that it forms two thinner cakes and place the bottom half back into the pan.
• In a small bowl, mix the cream of coconut and coconut milk together until they form the consistency of condensed milk. Add more of each if necessary.
• In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut mixture, soy milk, and nondairy whipping cream until smooth. Add the lime juice if desired. Stirring occasionally, bring the “milk” mixture to a boil. (The “milk” mixture has to reach a full boil prior to being poured over the cake; otherwise it will not soak into the cake.)
• Using a small cup or pitcher, pour the hot “milk” mixture over the bottom half of the cake, press with a spatula until the “milk” is absorbed, and then add a little more milk. Replace the top half of the cake and pour the “milk”” over the cake. Gently press the top with a spatula until the “milk” is absorbed. Add a little more “milk” and press with the spatula until the remaining “milk” is almost absorbed. Let the cake soak for at least 30 minutes. After the cake is cool, refrigerate until ready for garnishing.
• Whip the vegan whipping cream and top the cake with it. Add the berries decoratively. Keep refrigerated.
Makes 8 servings