2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups water
1 1/4 cups dates, chopped
1 cup raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
• Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
• In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
• In a small saucepan, combine the water, dates, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
• In a large bowl, place the shredded carrots, pour the hot liquid mixture over them, and allow to cool completely. Add the walnuts and orange juice concentrate to the carrot mixture and blend well.
• Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan.
• Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
• Serve plain or with frosting.
Makes 6-8 servings