For the Cupcakes:
1 12-oz. bottle Irish stout beer (or 12 oz. coffee, if you prefer)
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
Egg replacer equivalent to 3 eggs (try Ener-G brand)
3/4 cup vegan sour cream (try Tofutti brand)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the beer, soy milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the egg replacer and then mix in the vegan sour cream.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet beer mixture.
• Grease 24 muffin tins (or line with cupcake liners) and divide the batter among the muffin tins.
• Bake for 25 minutes, or until done.
• Cool completely before decorating.
For the Frosting:
1 8-oz. pkg. vegan cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup soy milk
1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
*Add a dash of green food coloring to your frosting for a St. Paddy’s kick!
• Beat the vegan cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the soy milk, then slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar.
Cocoa powder for dusting
• Top each cooled cupcake with a dollop of frosting, then sprinkle with a small dusting of cocoa powder.