1 lb. vegetarian chicken, torn into small pieces (try Worthington Chickettes or Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chick’n Strips)
3 Tbsp. canola oil, plus additional oil for frying the taquitos
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium Anaheim peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. oregano
2 cups faux chicken broth or vegetable broth
Salt, to taste
18 to 24 corn tortillas
• Heat the oil in large sauce pan and add the onion, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vegetarian chicken and continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
• Blend the crushed tomatoes, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano in a blender and pour the mixture into a pan. Bring to a boil and add the broth. Cover the pan and simmer over medium heat about 25 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
• Wrap the tortillas in a damp cloth, place in the oven, and heat through, until soft, under low heat.
• Strain the sauce and place 1 Tbsp. of the mixture in the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly and use a toothpick to hold it. Repeat for the remaining tortillas.
• In a medium sauté pan, heat enough oil to cover the taquitos two-thirds deep. Fry the taquitos for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
• Remove the toothpicks and serve with your favorite salsa, nondairy sour cream, and guacamole on the side.
Makes 8 to 10 servings