1 (12-oz.) pkg. Italian “sausage” links (try Lightlife brand at lightlife.com), cut into 1/2- inch pieces
2 Tbsp. olive oil
12 oz. kale, thoroughly washed
2 Tbsp. water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 (15 1/2-oz.) cans cannelloni beans, including liquid
1 (14 1/2-oz.) can whole tomatoes, drained
2 cups vegetable or faux chicken broth
• In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté the “sausage” in the olive oil until browned. Move the sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside.
• Meanwhile, remove the stalk ends from the kale and discard. Coarsely chop the kale, and put it and the water into the pot. Cover the pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until kale is just tender, stirring occasionally.
• Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
• Add the beans (including liquid) along with the tomatoes and the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
• Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the tomatoes. Add the “sausage,” stir, and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings