4 small red bell peppers
2 large Yukon Gold or other all-purpose potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Basil Pesto (see recipe below), thinned with a little olive oil
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
• Roast the peppers over an open flame or under the broiler, turning often, until the skin is blackened on all sides. Place them in a paper bag, seal the bag, and let steam for 5 minutes.
• Remove the peppers from the bag and cut lengthwise in half. Scrape the charred skin from the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
• Cut 4 large 1/4-inch-thick round slices from the center portion of each potato (you can cook the remaining potatoes and reserve for another use).
• Place the potatoes on a lightly oiled baking sheet, brush the tops with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast, turning once, until soft, about 20 minutes.
• To assemble, place 1 slice of potato on a plate and top with a bell pepper half, another slice of potato, and another bell pepper half. Repeat the procedure on three more plates to make 4 stacks in all. Surround each with a drizzle of the pesto sauce and garnish with basil leaves.
Makes 4 servings