2 pkgs. yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 cup vegan margarine, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup cool water
Egg Replacer equivalent to 3 eggs
6 cups flour
For the Filling:
1 lb. dates, pitted
Water sufficient to cover the dates
2 Tbsp. sugar or fruit jam
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, melted
• Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
• In a large bowl, combine the margarine, sugar, salt, cool water, and egg replacer. Add the yeast and flour. Beat until shiny, then let rise until doubled in size, approximately 2 hours.
• While the dough is rising, prepare the filling: Cook the dates with the water in a medium pan over medium heat until soft, stirring constantly. Add more water if needed. When soft, remove from the heat and mash with the sugar. Set aside.
• Spoon the dough into little balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise for 20 minutes.
• Make an indent in the center of each ball and fill with the date filling. Pinch the hole shut. Let rise for 10 minutes.
• Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Brush with the margarine.
Makes approximately 1 dozen