For the Salad:
1 bunch organic kale, stalks removed, thinly sliced into rounds, and reserved
2 organic carrots, grated or julienned
1 cup organic dried currants
• Place the kale leaves in a pot of boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bright green and slightly tender but still a bit crunchy. Remove from the water and place on a bamboo mat to cool.*
• Place the carrots in the boiling water for 10 to 15 seconds, or until bright orange and slightly tender but still a bit crunchy. Remove from the water and set aside.
• Arrange the kale on a platter and sprinkle the currants and stalk rounds on top. Use the carrots as a garnish.
For the Dressing:
1/4 cup organic lemon juice
1 tsp. organic white miso
1-2 Tbsp. organic tahini (try Tohum brand)
1/8 cup organic cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
Spring or filtered water sufficient to thin to desired consistency
• Blend the lemon juice, white miso, and tahini together. Add the olive oil and mix well. Add enough water until the desired consistency is reached.
• Pour over or toss into the salad.
Makes 4 servings
*Note: The bamboo mat allows air to circulate around the greens, cooling them quickly so they don’t continue to cook. Spreading them out over the bamboo mat also helps facilitate quick cooling. Avoid running the greens under water to cool them, as vitamins and minerals may be washed away.