3/4 cup arrowroot
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup garfava flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
3/4 tsp. xantham gum
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
3 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1/2 cup vegan shortening (try Earth Balance brand)
1/4 cup vegan margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
1 Tbsp. water
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
• Whisk together the flours, xantham gum, spices, salt, and crystallized ginger. Set aside.
• Cream together the shortening, margarine, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
• In a separate bowl, mix the flaxseeds and water together and add the molasses. Pour into the creamed sugar mixture. Using a hand mixer, mix on low until combined.
• Add the flour mixture to the sugar-molasses mixture and continue to mix on low until well combined. Chill for 1 hour.
• Using wetted hands, roll the dough into walnut-sized balls. Roll in the sugar.
• Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
• Bake for 12 minutes in a 350°F oven.
Makes 4 dozen cookies