For the Sauce:
1/2 cup Texas Pete brand hot sauce
1/4-1/2 cup vegan margarine (using 1/2 cup of margarine will make the sauce less hot)
• Combine the hot sauce and the margarine in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir until the margarine is melted.
• Pour over the meatballs and cook for 20 minutes in the oven at 350°F.
For the ‘Meatballs’:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 lbs. Gimme Lean, Ground-Beef style
3 Tbsp. ketchup
3 Tbsp. spicy mustard
3-6 Tbsp. Texas Pete brand hot sauce
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
• In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic.
• In a large bowl, combine the Gimme Lean with the onion, pepper, and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix with your hands thoroughly, roll into balls, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Season with the salt and pepper.
• Bake for 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes.
Makes approximately 1 dozen