2 heads garlic
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 cups diced onions
3/4 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
4 lbs. butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and roughly chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped sage
1/2 cup plain soy milk
Sea salt and white pepper, to taste
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Cut the garlic heads in half crosswise. Rub the cut surfaces with the olive oil and put back together. Wrap in foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
• Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a large pot over medium heat.
• Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add the squash, broth, and sage. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
• Once the garlic has cooled, remove and mash the cloves. Stir into the soup.
• Purée the soup in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to the pot and stir in the soy milk. Season with the salt and pepper.
Makes 10 servings