1 cup sugar
3 cups water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
• In a large saucepan, cook the sugar over medium heat until beginning to melt. Do not stir.
• Continue to cook, stirring often, until completely melted and caramelized.
• Add the water, allowing the caramel to steam and harden. Cook over medium-low heat until dissolved, stirring often.
• Add the cocoa and the salt and whisk until dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally.
• Stir in the vanilla, cover, and chill for approximately 2 hours.
• Process in an ice-cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container. Allow to firm in the freezer before serving.
Makes approximately 1 qt.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, then pour the sorbet into a shallow, freezer-proof baking dish, place it in the freezer, and stir it every 30 minutes to 1 hour; repeat this step until the sorbet is smooth and frozen.