1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup margarine
1 oz. (1 square) unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles or crispy rice cereal
• In a large saucepan, combine the corn syrup, margarine, and unsweetened chocolate. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
• Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla.
• Stir in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, combining after each addition.
• Turn the candy mixture onto a greased baking sheet and allow it to cool at room temperature for 15 minutes. Then knead the mixture several minutes, until smooth.
• Shape the candy into 1-inch balls and place the balls on another baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Let them stand about 20 minutes or until dry.
• Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler or in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
• Dip each chocolate ball in the melted chocolate to coat it and immediately roll it in a bowl filled with the chocolate sprinkles or crispy rice cereal to coat, then place it back on the lined baking sheet.
• Allow the candies to sit an hour until dry. Store tightly covered in a cool place.
Makes approximately 5 dozen candies