1 head red leaf lettuce
1 cup snow peas
1 large cucumber
1 sweet red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
8 oz. flavored baked tofu of your choice (e.g., teriyaki, sesame, ginger, peanut, spicy Thai, etc.)
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. Thai chili paste (or other chili sauce)
1/2 cup bottled salad dressing of your choice (e.g., sesame shiitake, lemon tahini, cilantro lime, etc.)
• Wash and tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Drain thoroughly and place in a large salad bowl.
• Trim the tips from the snow peas and cut on a diagonal slant into 1-inch slices.
• Peel the cucumber and julienne (cut into thin, narrow slices 1 to 2 inches long).
• Cut the red pepper in half and remove the seeds and pith. Cut it into thin slices and then cut the slices diagonally into thirds.
• Rinse and drain the bean sprouts.
• Julienne the carrots and blanch them by submerging them in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain.
• Add the snow peas, cucumber, red pepper, bean sprouts, and carrots to the salad and make an indentation in the center of the salad.
• Cut the tofu into 1/4-inch slices and then cut crosswise to make bite-sized pieces.
• Stir together the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili paste. Pour over the tofu and toss.
• Add the tofu mixture to the center of the salad just before serving.
• Serve with the salad dressing of your choice tossed in or on the side.
Makes 8 servings