For Immediate Release:
April 1, 2019
Moira Colley 202-483-7382
Norfolk, Va. – PETA Social Media Manager Ashley Frohnert and her husband, graphic artist and endurance athlete Tony Safran, recently tied the knot in not one but two amazing all-vegan ceremonies—one in the Topanga Canyon in California and the other in her native Pittsburgh.
Photos by Abbie Tyler, Ben Petchel, and Ricky Lesser, which are available here, showcase some of the unique details that made the weddings a lovefest for everyone:
- The bride wore a dress from Anthropologie’s bridal line, BHLDN, and lavender vegan leather shoes from SUSI Studio, while the groom wore a burgundy three-piece wool-free suit from ASOS, a belt from Brave GentleMan, and dark brown oxfords from vegan shoe store Moo Shoes.
- The Los Angeles reception at The Mountain Mermaid on August 31, 2018, was catered by Todo Verde, and the menu featured jackfruit tacos with a cashew crema, oyster mushrooms en mole, semilla salad with fresh strawberries, guacamole and chips, and coctél de oyster mushrooms.
- The couple’s cupcake assortment and pink velvet cake adorned with icing succulents were supplied by Baby Love Sweetery.
- The Pittsburgh reception, which was held on September 2, 2018, at the historic Braddock Carnegie Library, was catered by Ladyfingers Catering and featured an all-vegan spread of mac ‘n’ cheese, tacos, and fresh vegetables.
- The Butterwood Bake Consortium provided a sumptuous crème de violette wedding cake topped with real succulents and other plant adornments for that reception.
- The beer that was served there was obtained from local Pennsylvania breweries Iron City Brewing Company and Yuengling, which make exclusively vegan beer (rather than filtering it with isinglass, a substance derived from fish bladders that’s used to refine some beers).
- The couple’s two rescued dogs were the “best men” in the ceremony in California.
- Both receptions featured an all-vegan Pittsburgh cookie table with dozens of various homemade egg- and dairy-free cookies for guests to take home as favors.
Of course, it’s fitting that Frohnert should wed in animal-friendly style: As the wizard behind some of PETA’s most successful social media campaigns—including “Boycott SeaWorld” Day, the viral animal-friendly idioms meme, and many tweets that got PETA trending—she lives and breathes animal rights. Together, she and her husband––who’s competed in various endurance challenges, such as IRONMAN and ultramarathon events, to spread the vegan message––are showing just how easy it can be to mark momentous occasions in ways that align with one’s values.
For more information, please visit PETA.org.