Also, check out two of our recipes that feature Gardein’s scrumptious faux chicken!
Vegan Chick-fil-A Sandwiches
4 vegan chicken cutlets (try Gardein Chick’n Scallopini)
3/4 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk
1/4 cup pickle juice
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
3 cups peanut, canola, or vegetable oil, for frying
Olive oil cooking spray
16 dill pickle chips
- Defrost or thaw the vegan chicken cutlets if frozen.
- Combine the soy milk and the pickle juice in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, dry mustard, and powdered sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Warm the peanut oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip a “chicken” cutlet into the wet mixture, coating evenly on all sides. Toss into the flour mixture and coat generously. Repeat with the remaining cutlets and set aside.
- Place one cutlet in the frying pan using a pair of tongs. Flip occasionally to ensure even cooking. Allow to cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until the outside is crisp and golden brown. Allow to drain on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining cutlets.
- Lightly spray the buns with the cooking spray and place in a frying pan over low heat until slightly toasted.
- Place 4 pickle chips on the bottom half of each bun, then top with the fried “chicken.” Serve immediately.
Makes 4 sandwiches
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups unbleached white flour
4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
4 Tbsp. mustard (yellow, Dijon, spicy brown, or your favorite)
1/2 cup water
2 pkgs. Gardein vegan Chick’n Strips
3 1/2 cups canola oil for frying
- Mix together the salt, onion powder, pepper, garlic powder, flour, and nutritional yeast in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, dilute the mustard with 1/2 cup water and stir until soupy. Add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture to the mustard mixture and stir until the batter thickens (it’s OK if the batter is lumpy).
- Dip large chunks of the Gardein Chick’n Strips into the mustard batter. Drop each chunk into the flour mixture and coat with the desired amount of “crust.” Fry the chunks, turning as needed, in hot canola oil on medium to high heat in a large skillet until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately. (Leftovers are great. Try them straight from the fridge!)
Makes 4 servings