March 22, 2016
This ordinance prohibits direct-point chaining and provides restrictions on the use of trolley systems.
SECTION XXI. CHAINING; TETHERING
a. It shall be unlawful for any person to chain or tether an animal to a stationary object.
b. An animal may be tethered to a cable run system provided:
- The cable is securely affixed between two stationary objects.
- The cable is at least 15 feet in length.
- The cable is a minimum of five feet above the ground.
- The cable is made of galvanized wire, other composite material, or metal.
- The tether is at least ten feet in length.
- The tether is made of galvanized wire, other composite material, metal, or nylon.
- The tether is attached to the cable with a swivel.
- The length and weight of tether are appropriate for the animal’s size, age, species, breed, and physical condition in order to allow the animal to move freely along the length of the cable. The weight of the tether shall not exceed ten percent of the animal’s body weight. Guidelines for proper tether weight and length can be obtained from Animal service.
- The tether is attached to the animal by means of a swivel attached to (i) a harness or (ii) a collar not less than one-half inch for animals up to 20 pounds and one inch for animals exceeding 20 pounds in order to prevent the collar from becoming embedded in the animal. The tether may not be attached to a slip-type choke or pinch type collar.
- The length of the tether may not allow the animal to go beyond the limits of the property of the owner.
- The tether allows the animal to move freely and to lie comfortably.
- The subject area is free of obstructions with which the tether could become entangled.
- The animal has easy access to adequate food and water.
- The animal has easy access to shelter.
- The subject area is well drained.
- Only one animal is attached to each cable run.
- An animal is not tethered to a cable run during extreme weather, including but not limited to, freezing temperatures, lightening, tornadoes, tropical storms, thunder storms, or hurricanes.
- The animal is not tethered to a cable run for any duration or durations likely to cause physical or mental suffering.