December 8, 2014
This ordinance restricts continuous tethering to one hour. Dogs must be untethered for three hours before being tethered again. It also defines maximum tether weight and minimum tether length.
- It shall be illegal for any animal to be tethered or chained for more than one hour in the city limits. This ordinance requires that a dog must be untethered for three hours before being tethered again.
- No person shall use any tether shorter than 10 feet in length.
- No person shall use chains weighing more than 1/8 of the animal’s weight, or inhibiting the free movement of the animal.
- No person shall tether a dog on a choke chain.
- No person shall tether a dog without access to proper protection from the elements.
- No person shall tether a dog in an open area where it can be teased by people or in an area that does not provide protection from attack by other animals.
- No person shall tether an animal where no steps have been taken to prevent the surface from becoming wet and muddy in the event of precipitation.