Good times never seemed so good as when Neil Diamond shot a music video chock-full of adoptable dogs and took one of them home himself.
The crooner—who will soon release his new album, Melody Road—shot the video for his new song “Something Blue” with a posse of precocious pups, who came courtesy of an animal shelter. At the shoot, Neil and his wife were so taken with a boxer-terrier mix that they took her home and named her, naturally, Melody.
— Neil Diamond (@NeilDiamond) September 23, 2014
In other celebrity news:
- James Cameron is preparing for his next big hit. He and his wife, Suzy, announced their plans to open an all-vegan restaurant in New Zealand. And to make the restaurant even more eco-friendly, many of the fresh plant-based ingredients will be grown onsite in the restaurant’s gardens.
- Bill Gates is also working to protect planet Earth from destructive animal agriculture. He’s helping to fund a new startup called Impossible Foods—which consists of a team of “more than 50 scientists, chefs, farmers, and engineers” whose goal is to “make the best meats and cheeses you’ll ever eat—from plants.” Impossible Foods is isolating specific proteins from plants and working to recreate the flavor and texture of meat and dairy products. If it pleases the palate of one of the richest people in the world, you know it’s got to be good.
- The latest Scandal to come out of ABC’s primetime hit is about a certain scene involving fried chicken. When the character of first lady Mellie Grant had her depressed chicken chow down, there wasn’t a dead bird in sight. That’s because Bellamy Young, who portrays Mellie, is a devout vegan. The show got Mellie scrumptious vegan fried chicken—and it was so good that even after she’d eaten it all day long, she took the rest home:
(Though fellow Scandal star Portia de Rossi, who’s also vegan, may have gotten her hands on some, too.)
- Boy George said it right—and Bellamy and Portia are living proof:
#VIP Vegan Is Pretty!
— Boy George (@BoyGeorge) October 5, 2014
- She’s already spoken up for whales, tigers, and animals who are killed for their fur—now, PETA model Kim Basinger is giving elephants a helping hand. She joined the Global March for Elephants and Rhinos, calling for an end to elephant poaching and pushing for a worldwide ban on ivory in order to save these majestic animals from suffering and extinction.
To keep up with what all your favorite stars are doing for animals, follow @PETA on Twitter.