Talk about being in the right place (near an elevator) at the right time (just in time to save a dog’s life). The latest such occurrence was captured on surveillance video:
On December 30, 2019, Florida doctor Mohammad Awad returned home after a shift. Upon entering his apartment building, he watched his neighbor’s dog’s leash get caught in elevator doors, unbeknownst to the neighbor. In the footage above, the heroic doctor can be seen jumping into action after the elevator car begins to move up to the next floor, forcing the dog upward with it.
The dog was reportedly choking and whimpering while Awad tried to “break open the leash.” Thankfully, the leash eventually snapped open—both Awad and the dog fell to the floor. The animal wasn’t hurt, according to reports.
If the fast-acting doctor hadn’t been there, this dog may have died.
This is the second time in the past month that a dog has almost been killed after their leash became stuck in an elevator. Last month, Johnny Mathis—a good Samaritan—saved a dog after elevator doors closed between the pup and their human guardian.
— Johnny Mathis (@Johnnayyeee) December 10, 2019
Again, had Mathis not been there, this dog likely would have died. In both instances, it appears that these guardians weren’t paying attention to their canine companions.
As animal guardians, we must do better.
Please, if you’re responsible for an animal’s life, be extra-cautious—always pay attention! By being aware of your dog and your surroundings, you can help prevent your pup from being hurt or killed.