Alaska’s Iditarod dog-sled race is nothing short of a nightmarish ordeal for the dogs who are forced to run approximately 1,000 miles while pulling a heavy sled in some of the most grueling conditions on Earth. More than 150 dogs have died running the race—not counting those who suffered and died while chained up outside during the off-season or who were killed because they lacked the speed or stamina to make the grade. Yet Alaskan telecommunications provider GCI continues to power the Iditarod through its sponsorship.
Here’s how YOU can tell GCI to end its Iditarod sponsorship:
- E-mail Wilson Hughes, Senior Advisor for Wireless Technology, at [email protected] and urge him to cut ties with the Iditarod. Feel free to use our sample letter, but using your own words will be more effective.
- Contact GCI on social media. Let everyone know that it sponsors dogs’ deaths.
- Share this image on Facebook and Twitter, and be sure to tag @GCIAK.
Even though dogs keep dying, @GCIAK is still sponsoring the #Iditarod dog sled race. Join me in demanding the internet service provider stop powering dog cruelty! via @PETA
- Call the company at 1-800-800-4800 (press 4 and then press 2), and tell the representative that you want GCI to cut ties with the Iditarod. Ask them to pass the message along to management.
- Call between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Alaska time (12 noon–12 midnight ET) Monday through Friday
- Call between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Alaska time (1–10 p.m. ET) Saturday and Sunday.
Here are some talking points:
- More than 150 dogs have died as a result of the race, not counting innumerable others who have suffered and died during the off-season while chained up or who were killed simply because they lacked the speed or stamina to make the grade.
- Please follow the lead of former top sponsors ExxonMobil and Wells Fargo as well as Alaska Airlines, Chrysler, Coca-Cola, Jack Daniel’s, and other major companies in cutting ties with the Iditarod.
Please let us know about your call below. By submitting this form to PETA, you are not taking action or contacting the company. This is a feedback form to help us improve the call-in experience.
Please Stop Sponsoring the Deadly Iditarod
Dear Wilson Hughes:
I was disturbed to learn that GCI is sponsoring the Iditarod, despite the race’s egregious history of cruelty to dogs.
More than 150 dogs have died as a result of the race, not counting innumerable others who have suffered and died during the off-season while chained up or who were killed simply because they lacked the speed or stamina to make the grade. Up to half of those who start the race don’t finish, and during the 2021 race alone, almost 200 dogs were pulled off the trail because of exhaustion, illness, injury, or other causes.
Thank you for your consideration.