The holiday shopping season is upon us, and many people still don’t know that buying wool supports the torturing and killing of sheep!
PETA’s investigation of the major wool-producing regions of Australia and the US shows workers violently punching terrified sheep in the face, stomping and standing on the animals’ heads and necks, throwing them, mutilating them with sharp metal clippers, and even beating them in the face with electric clippers and a hammer. Some sheep died from the abuse, including one whose neck was twisted until the animal died. Every wool coat, blanket, and accessory caused a tremendous amount of suffering—and it’s easy not to support that suffering.
You can reach thousands of readers and save lives, simply by writing letters. There’s ways to help—whether you have 15 minutes or 15 seconds:
- Look online to find the contact info to write a letter to the editor of your local paper about the cruelty behind wool. Check out PETA’s Guide to Letter-Writing to get started!* Be sure to send copies of your published letters to [email protected].
- Got a few minutes? Tweet at your favorite fashion magazine and ask it to never promote wool, but instead feature warm, stylish, cruelty-free fabrics. And remember to include the hashtag #WoolFreeWinter. Here are some examples to get you started:
- Dear [@INSERT MAGAZINE], PLEASE never promote wool. Sheep are kicked, punched & cut in the wool trade. #WoolFreeWinter
- PLEASE never promote wool [@INSERT MAGAZINE]! Promote polyester fleece & synthetics instead. #WoolFreeWinter
- Hey [@INSERT MAGAZINE], PLEASE make it a #WoolFreeWinter! NO ONE should be slammed, stomped on, & killed for fashion!
- Got a few seconds? Tell Ralph Lauren to STOP SELLING WOOL!
- Still want to do more? Share PETA’s wool investigation right now with your friends and family, and ask them to never buy wool.
*Not sure what to say in your letter? Tell everyone that gentle and highly intelligent sheep are kicked, cut into, and stomped on in the wool industry. Most people have no idea that sheep are punched in the face, slammed to the floor, and even killed by impatient shearers to obtain their wool. Tell everyone to make this a ‘Wool-Free Winter’ by choosing from the many warm, cruelty-free options available, including cotton, bamboo, polyester fleece, Polartec®, Tencel®, and rayon—because no one should die for fashion.
Remember that every action counts. Just recently, NYLON magazine was forced to remove its hideous pro-fur campaign after provoking backlash from caring people who spoke up for animals. Speak out for sheep today!