Smoked Portobello and Tofu Gumbo With Okra
This recipe was adapted from Troy Brocato's winning entry.
2 lbs. firm tofu
Creole seasoning, to taste
8 medium portobello mushrooms
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups vegetable oil
8 cups vegetable stock
4 lbs. sliced okra
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- Wrap the tofu in a paper towel and press with a weight to remove the excess water. Coat with Creole seasoning and put in a smoker with the portobello mushrooms. Smoke for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a heavy iron pot, make a dark brown roux using the flour and 2 cups of the oil.
- Carefully add the vegetable stock to the roux, then bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Heat the remaining oil in another pot and add the okra. Cook until the okra is no longer slimy, then add the bay leaves, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and cook for another 45 minutes.
- Add the okra mixture to the gumbo and continue to simmer.
- Dice the smoked tofu and mushrooms and add to the gumbo. Season with your favorite Creole seasoning, then let simmer for another 30 minutes so that the smoky flavor from the tofu and mushrooms pervade the dish.
- Serve over white or brown rice.
Servings: Makes 8 to 10 servings