Mac and ‘Cheese’ Florentine
8 oz. elbow macaroni
10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, cooked according to package directions and well drained
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup raw cashews*
1 3/4 cups water
15.5-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp. white miso paste (optional)
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
• Cook the macaroni in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the spinach and toss to combine. Set aside.
• Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, covered, until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
• Grind the cashews to a powder in a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup of the water and blend until smooth. Add the onion, beans, miso paste, remaining 3/4 cup water, lemon juice, mustard, cayenne, and nutmeg. Blend until smooth. Season with the salt. Pour over the macaroni and spinach and mix well.
• Transfer to a lightly oiled slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
• Clove to serving time, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs, stirring well to coat. Cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. When ready to serve, sprinkle the toasted crumbs on top of the casserole.
Makes 4 servings
*Note: If raw cashews are unavailable, use roasted cashews and use less salt in the recipe.
From Robin Robertson’s Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker
Commenting is closed.
In This Section
Products temporarily unavailable.